Trumpet Discussion Discuss advice in the General forums; Hello everyone, I am a member of the Ron Paul campaign, and we have a marching band of drummers so ...
    New Friend

Hello everyone,

I am a member of the Ron Paul campaign, and we have a marching band of drummers so far; and I thought it would be great to have a trumpet accompany this and to play the Star-Spangled Banner.

My question is: I can't afford a Stradivarius, but you get what you pay for, so I don't want something too cheap. What do you suggest?

Also, I last played a trumpet in elementary school. Are there any web sites that could teach me the Star-Spangled Banner?

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA

Re: advice

Banned Mezzo Forte User

Hey Roger, good guy your hangin' out with there. He makes so much sense, he sounds like'a radical. :)

As it is, i've never come across anything that teaches the Banner. Guess the easiest thing would be to mimic and copy it by listening to it through a lot of repeated rewind and play? Seems reasonable. I've seen it mentioned here by Wilmer (Wise Talk) -click that prompt in the 'Artists in Residence' section -that this is good course in learning. Maybe pm Wilmer, he might have something to point you to?

Course Billy may be suggesting by omission that your over estimating your chops by feeling you can pick it up right off? Although, when i've spoken to teachers and builders that play- is it depends on the person. Some folks can't get after it quick, and others do. :)

Sounds like good times, enjoy. And hey, tell Ron there's a lot of folks from Maryland pullin' for'm.

Last edited by godchaser; 10-30-2007 at 10:03 AM.

A marching band of drummers and ONE TRUMPET player that hasn't played since elementary school. Man you have got guts. If you were in Germany around Frankfurt, I would give you free lessons (I do not regard internet lessons very highly)!
    More seriously, that is a challenging piece that goes from low C to high G. Not something for beginner chops. How much time do you have to prepare?

There are several less expensive horns available from Yamaha, Getzen, B&S, King, Olds................ that will do the job. A pro horn like the Stradavarius need a skilled player to demonstrate the difference. A beginners horn is easier to play when you have NO CHOPS.

My advice to you is to get a real teacher. That way, your progress will be according to your ability, not on how lucky you get.
    Have someone videotape this and put it on YouTube. You have sparked my interest!

For the rest of us: this is the stuff that real first trumpet players are made of - a total disregard for the odds. I think he will make it! Please support him any way that you can!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Show your support of the arts by hiring professional musicians, unless you have no interest in getting votes from AFL/CIO members and want to rub it in.
    Contact the American Federation of Musicians local near you, do it now, and become more aware of good election protocal and practices.
    Good luck!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Banned Mezzo Forte User

I forgot to mention earlier Roger, if you like the Bach sound at a better price you may want to try Eastman Winds

Some folks here are highly impressed with them.

Andreas Eastman Trumpets

Pianissimo User

Ron Paul has some good Libertarian ideas , but he really comes off as a goofball, just remember the "blowback principal " remark that everyone is poking fun on the radio these days.
    Dr. Paul, as I said ,has some good ideas but he doesn't stand a snowball's chance to get the nomination. BTW the Andreas thrumpets are really fine horns.

Thread Information