Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Advice on buying a trumpet from the sellers here in the General forums; Does the seller offer a try-out period; can you return the horn for a refund (less postage probably) if it's ...
    Great Southern Land

Re: Advice on buying a trumpet from the sellers here

Does the seller offer a try-out period; can you return the horn for a refund (less postage probably) if it's not suitable?

Also, though I have never used one I have heard about escrow services which hold your money in keeping until you get the goods and tell the escrow agency to release the funds to the seller (there are probably agreement details surrounding how quickly you must release the funds, and under what circumstances they refund the money to you). One key thing is that both buyer and seller must trust the escrow agency. But not having used one (yet) this tip could probably do with improving by somebody who knows more.

Quote Originally Posted by reedy View Post
    Im sure it would be fine, if it does end bad you could always file a dispute with paypall and get your money back :)

Really? Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that if you bought something ON EBAY using PayPal and there were problems you could file a claim to get your money back (or return the goods, etc), but not for just any PayPal transactions. Can you provide any links to validate your claim?

Ars longa, vita brevis

New Friend

Id agree with the above post. Unless your on ebay pay pal won't back you up much. Give them a call they will tell you that as well. Years ago (pre internet) I used to be into various collectables and antiques etc and Id send cash and checks all over the country to buy stuff that was in classified ads. I never got burned once. I am a bit more cautious these days. Ive done about 350 deals on ebay since 1999 and only been burned once that I know was intentional and once that could have been an honest mistake. In both cases I didnt lose my money because of pay pal.

Both of my transactions in here from the TM ads were perfect. I can't say the same for eBay or Craigslist. Both TM parties (a trumpet and a mp) were trumpet players. You have to be more careful on eBay and Craigslist because the percentage of people selling horns (who don't play) is much greater. True trumpet players are more honest than just normal, regular people.

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

If the seller is well known and uses TM a lot (and has a good reputation) I think it's probably fine to proceed. If it's somebody that's not really well known on here and doesn't use TM often, I would ask some of the moderators what they know about the person (if they do know).

I have done transactions with 2 people on here that have gone absolutely perfect. The other person....not so much.

Make sure you at least always ask for pictures of what you are buying. If the seller says that they can't send pictures, that's probably a bad sign.
    Overall though, I think that you'll be fine. This is a pretty good place!

1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Hi and thanks to everyone for all their generous advice, especially the Comebackkid, who even volunteered to check out the horn for me if it was in Southern California (it was in Portland actually). I am extremely grateful for the helpfulness and kindness I've encountered in this forum.

Thanks to the information gleaned here, and after doing my own due diligence, I am glad to report that I went ahead and bought the horn, which I received just yesterday. Though it is only a humble YTR2335, it's lovely and I like it a lot. Now, if only I can find a way to play it!

So again, thanks everyone for your advice. The seller turned out to be a great guy, and the transaction was very smooth indeed.

Ithaca NY

The Yammie you bought will serve you well as a starter. Don't fret the buzzing (yes, I read both other threads here as well as on the other forum) and take it slowly with lots of rest while you practice. And ENJOY!!

BTW, all, I have a high post count and a good rep. here, so please go to the marketplace and search for "beachfront land in Florida."
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information