Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Advice please! in the General forums; I too am a product of the RAM and later the LCM., in my day one had to study all ...
    Pianissimo User
    Sydney Aus.

Re: Advice please!

I too am a product of the RAM and later the LCM., in my day one had to study all facets of music including transcription and arranging/composing. Is this no longer the case?
    schilke b5
    Carol Brass 4440
    Yamaha flugel
    wedge mp

Let me add that I also think the #1 thing you can do to become a good improviser is to become a solid fundamental trumpet player. Improvisation is about listening to and interacting with the rhythm section over the chord changes and expressing/exchanging musical ideas. Not being able to PLAY what you can THINK can become a hangup in that process and then your solos could decompose into a mindless regurgitation of licks you have learned.

Learning licks, scales, and patterns are important... but they are just the tools to give yourself the vocabulary to express your own musical ideas. Expression is part of the outcome, not just regurgitation.

Greensboro, NC

Listen, listen listen. Just like you did when studying classical music. You probably have a lot of theory which is great. You'll need it Find a good jazz teacher who knows how to work with a jazz novice. Improvisation runs through all styles of music. jazz improvisation has to swing. A great series for this are the Jim Snidero books "Jazz Conception. Available from Aebersold. These have play a long CDs. The only real way to learn to swing is to play with players who swing. It can't be describe only felt.
    Last edited by Bob Grier; 05-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Pianissimo User

also if you try to switch instruments (if you haven't already upgrading) get a new mouthpiece.
    "Men have died for this music. You can't get more serious than that."
    -Dizzy Gillespie
    "Trumpet players, We're high maintenence we bring more than one instrument."
    -Joe Burgstaller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information