Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss advice for sight-reading? in the General forums; I just found a ton of free sheet music online ( The Mutopia Project ) most of it not trumpet ...
    Pianissimo User
    Berlin, Germany

Re: advice for sight-reading?

I just found a ton of free sheet music online (The Mutopia Project) most of it not trumpet music, but that's fine. I've been getting really into the Bach Cello suites and Violin Sonatas and Partitas, so I got all the music for those and read along with the recordings I have. Something I noticed is that I was tripped up in the big intervals where the music is harmonically based. I think we all develop a great eye for detecting scales when we're sight reading, but not necessarily other patters such as really simple things like dominant chords or inverted chords even. I know it sounds simple, but chord or arpeggio exercises will probably help your sight reading a lot.

If you see a C major scale in a piece in eighth notes, you don't have really read it, you just see it and look ahead because it's a given, just like we don't have to think of which fingers to push down after a few years of playing. That's the mental connection you're trying to build with sight reading, making as many things as possible as easy as pushing down three buttons.

charlotte nc

I'm with Cartman and BigTiny... double right on.

My dad (a retired band director) started me in the 4th grade with a practice drum pad, sticks and a percussion book. I learned rhythms that way for over a year. That was an invaluable lesson. There are only 12 different notes...and an infinite combination of possible rhythms.

The second part Big Tiny mentions...listening...also terrific. You might even consider doing some actual transcription (as opposed to thinking about what it would look like in your head)...but even just the listening part is a great step for getting your mind/body acclimated to more and more possible rhythms and feels. Note the word "feels". Many genres end up being more about being accustomed to typical rhythms associated with a particular feel or style (R&B, Latin, Swing, etc) by listening will also prove invaluable.

Best of success to you!
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

New Friend
    Seattle, WA, USA

I'm not the best at sight-reading, but some advice I can give you is to play percussion. I have recently volunteered to play percussion in my school's orchestra, and I can tell you my sight-reading skills have improved a lot. I'm having a much easier time with rhythms.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Anything we read is a combination of scales and rhythms, and knowing both is a huge help. The ideal is to know a key so well that we can play it with our eyes closed, and be able to plug a rhythm between two beats.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Levittown , NY

Read as much as you can play in as many different bands as possible if you can get printed copies of you`r parts and play along with recordings of them it will help you see and hear the rhythmic patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Get a hymn book and play it cover to cover. Find something unknown EVERY day for the next 6 months.

There is no replacement for DOING IT.

Make sure you have a good diet of scales and interval studies too.

Go for the Hymn book, all the keys and time signatures you could want can be found in a Hymnal
    Play the Melody
    Play the Alto line
    Play the Alto line a 8va up
    Play the Tenor line( invloves reading Bass Cleff)
    PLay the descant if the Hymn has one.
    Transpose up on the fly(eg Bb to C)
    Transpose down on the fly (eg C to Bb)
    Even play it backwards.

Anything to exercise the mind while playing.

If you play with other trumpets, play from the Hymnal. There are easy songs which let you work on tunning to each other.

IMO a Hymn book is a great addition to any practice.
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

New Friend

Last edited by limbo; 07-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Something you can do that helped me was practise rythms. The more you practise, you'll get familiar with patterns and in the end you'll be a better sight reader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information