Trumpet Discussion Discuss Advice For Solos in the General forums; Solos and needles are my two greatest fears. Luckily I don't get either of them very often. I got a ...
    Pianissimo User
    West Virginia

Advice For Solos

Solos and needles are my two greatest fears. Luckily I don't get either of them very often. I got a short 8 measure, very easy solo for jazz band, but it freaks the heck out of me. I was told I was playing it Wednesday (it was originally a duet but then they gave it to me) and I played it Friday for a "concert" which was really only about 10 people. I was told afterwards it sounded good, but I shook through the whole thing. Tuesday us and the choir will do two annual Christmas concerts for the school, 9+10 grade then 11+12. What can I do to help me not lose it during my solo? I can easily play it at home but once I get in front of people I shake. 10 people was bad enough, 2 groups of 1000 will be a lot worse. It really seems pathetic when you see it.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Advice For Solos

This is entirely a mind game. Most of us start out fearing the idea of failing to meet the expectations of others. Frequently this can be overcome by coming to grips with the idea that the audience really doesn't have as high expectations as we have for ourselves. So, really the concern is disappointing yourself. There are different approaches based on individual emotional makeup but in general, the solution is repetition, repetition. It does not have to be a trumpet solo that you repeat. It can be speaking, debate, singing, juggling or any other performance in front of a group. So, find opportunities to be in front of groups, get used to the sound of your own voice (or trumpet). Record yourself and playback the recordings so that you can see the areas where you can improve. Any and all of these things can help but it will take time and effort. Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Melbourne Australia

All of CBK's (ComeBackKid) advice is sound.

There are some recent threads on solos, and worth a read.

To start try to stick to the melody with some embelishments, keep the rythm and enjoy yourself. There are no wrong notes in our solo, it is yours.

As Miles Davis once said " I will play 8 bars absolutely correct tonight; and my job is to make it difficult for you to pick which 8 "

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

New Friend

I used to have that problem. I perform every week but for a long time it was never with trumpet so I found when i played trumpet in front of people I was nervous. To solve that...I did it more. Soon playing for lots of people will become second nature. Give it time and learn to love your own sound(not with an ego though). Every note you play is beautiful.
    Coueson Model Depose
    Bach Stradivarius 37(1980)
    Yamaha Flugel YFH-2310

Marcinkiewicz Concert Hall Model B1 (Bach 1x)
    Marcinkiewicz Artist Model 3E/3C

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Suck it up, Your a Mountaineer!!
    You're confusing nervous and excited. Race horses run for excitement, rabbits get scared and run in fright. Don't fall into the habit of confusing excited and scared. Just do your job and everything will be all right. To calm yourself down from being "overexcited" take a deep slow breath, hold it, and then exhale and imagine all the tension leaving your body. Do this a couple of times at home and you'll see what i mean.
    Good luck

Pianissimo User
    Middle of Georgia

i had that problem last year..i only had 24 notes total after a 25 year instructor told me.."When you step up there... YOU'RE THE MAN". it worked.

Ceredo-Kenova, WV (Class of 1965)

dubuque iowa

Not only are you THE MAN but you have ice water in your veins! I concentrate on slowing my pulse and focus my eyes on the music notes only or on one audience member who is smiling and assume that it is because they like what they are hearing. Solo fright is common and goes away with experience, Hope you live to see it pass! Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Thread Information