Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Advice would be nice, lovely Trumpetmaster guys and gals! in the General forums; Originally Posted by larry tscharner ........................ All of us here have our bad days (or maybe our good days) and ...
    New York State USA

Re: Advice would be nice, lovely Trumpetmaster guys and gals!

Quote Originally Posted by larry tscharner View Post
    ........................ All of us here have our bad days (or maybe our good days) and sound just like you do now, but as long as you are moving foreward and improving, dont sweat the small stuff. Everyone in the bands I play in right now know that Im not afraid to make a mistake, and I do so on a regular basis, but Im having fun and owning every note I play. Relax and play the song from the heart, no matter what the song is, it will sound better.

on an agreement with that -- I played the trombone in the Memorial day parade (in our community bands -- Home Town) -- my Trombone debut, The first time through the songs -- I was tentative in front of the home town crowd --- Congressman Tom Reed was there a few steps ahead of me even (seeing is how we never rehearsed the marches -- OH YEAH BABY, I have an opinion on that) ---------- but after the initial tentativeness wore off --- and the crowd was cheering ---and all 3 of us trombones were getting together on the sound ------YES, I(we) made some mistakes, but Man we had BIG sound --- and the crowd loved that. By the end of the parade -- the last time through the songs, BIG, BOLD, and BEAUTIFUL sound.
    sorry -- that I have been infatuated with the trombone in most of my posts recently -- but it is performance, and only playing that for 6 months now --- it does give clues into a lot of posts like this one ----BUT I AM A TRUMPET PLAYER ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Ithaca NY

I agree with those who say you have a good sound and are managing long phrases OK. You played Greensleeves with out a hitch fingering-wise too. I think the single most helpful thing you could do would be to get some lessons. Save up some $$, forgo a movie or two and stop buying sodas (which you do unless you are really different), and either find someone locally or hook up with Bob Grier who posted above, and do some lessons via SKYPE. You can handle the technology no problem since you were able to produce that video.
    Please, I know I am repeating what others said, but it is because lessons will make a huge difference, and a few $$ thrown in that direction will be money well spent. I will kick in $20 towards your first lesson with Bob, if you go that route. Just have him PM me and I'll send him a check.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Friend

Thank you Trumpetmaster for this site and for allowing me to post. As i see it you might want to change your title. You can play! You want to be better. Great ! Your motivation speaks clearly. . But here's my take. . My son has been playing in his school for 6 yrs now. 3 months ago I asked if he would like private lessons w/ a trumpet prof. His improvement was heard by all including his shool music teacher. Individual lessons with a pro who you like and consistant practice on his recomendations is a way to start. That is my advice. When your ready take your practice outside once in awhile. Show the world your stuff. Just dont do it before or after curfew hrs...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information