Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents in the General forums; Go play with you kid and come back when you learn some manners. Men................................
    Long Island, NY USA

Re: Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Go play with you kid and come back when you learn some manners. Men.............................

I was being inappropriate. sorry
    Last edited by MrWho3421; 01-08-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Frankly, if I were the parents who started this thread, I might seriously think about telling my kid he can't play trumpet at all anymore! Is this the way trumpet players behave? NOT MY KID!

For myself however, I have thoroughly enjoyed this entire exchange. Beats the daylights out of reality TV!

Roland St. Gelais (my real name!)
    "...remember that whatever you do in life, 90 percent of it is half mental." - Yogi Berra

Sunny Ca.

My My, we do get our panties in a bunch don't we?
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Quebec City, QC, Canada

Thanks. I feel the love :)
    NYTC Stage 1 California Light - Wedge 3C cup w/ Warburton 7 backbore mpc
    Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975) - Schilke 15B mpc
    Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP mpc
    Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954

Let us just get back to the original question:
    Parents that do not know anything about the trumpet want to give their son who seems to have a promising future a new horn.
    I think it is safe to say that young musicians prefer silver because it looks cool, not because of the sound. Most of us also agree that an intermediate horn in this case is not the right choice as it offers no real playing benefit over a student instrument. As far as the bore size goes, I do not think it makes much difference as a specification. Some large bore horns feel so big you could drive a truck through them, other ones are stuffier than some small horns! In the price category that I mentioned, $1000 - $1500, there are some good deals, but not so much choice on bore size. There have been several reputable brands mentioned, so I think that we have adequately answered the original posters question. The advice of taking someone in the know like the students teacher is for sure sensible and making a learning experience out of a high ticket purchase is certainly good for the development of the child.
    Without going into much detail, I think that Lezwoymn AND many others have confused a couple of things. All of the playing traits like dark and light, free blowing and stiff, and whatever, cannot be directly attributed to ANY particular specification. Why, because the trumpet designers have many more factors to play with that COULD make a silver plated horn sound darker (the silver does not do that, but perhaps a brace placed differently, or as in the case of certain Bach trumpets a gold brass bell UNDER the silver plate. The same goes for the reversed tuning slide. Many attribute the "freer blowing" to the lead pipe, when actually the bell brace that has to be moved back is the reason that the player thinks that the horn plays easier (without going into detail: it doesn't. You just hear yourself better because more energy is reflected off of the outside of the bell towards the player and NOT the audience. This is good for a studio situation where one does not play in rooms with a nice sound).
    I think that this is useless information for the parents of this lucky kid! If he is in fact plugged in, it will not be his last horn and he will have the opportunity to "fine tune" in 5 or 6 years. Then he can use this horn for marching or big band and maybe a C trumpet for orchestra. it is easy to get carried away when it is not our own money. Let's just lighten up and be happy for this lucky young man!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend
    Naperville, IL USA

I want to thank everyone who posted offering advice us. I should have included a bit more information, including that although we’re not wealthy, we’re very willing to make an investment in Mark’s future by getting him the best trumpet he can handle: Ideally one that will stretch him without overwhelming him. But we’ve also now considered that we might do this in two steps: A big step up now and a smaller step later, rather than trying to do it all at once.

I’m glad to hear that the proof is in the playing, and that I shouldn’t worry too much about the attempts to classify a horn by its features. That means that if something feels right, we won’t get too obsessive about whether the bell is a certain size, or the leadpipe is reversed, or the finish is lacquered. Assuming that the maker is reputable and that, for the most part, you get what you pay for, we’ll feel much better just knowing what we know now.

Based on this forum (and the links you posted, all of which contributed to my understanding bit-by-bit), we’ve decided we’ll take a look at a Yamaha Xeno, a Schilke B series, and the Bach 18037 for starters. Because we live near Chicago, and because we sort of like the idea, we’ll also look at Chicago Brass Works, just in case.

I’m also glad to see that you are all so passionate about horns; I hope when it comes time to get our younger daughter (she’s 10) a new French Horn, what I’ve learned here will carry over.

And I might just take up the accordion.

Thanks again to all. You’ve been most helpful.

Hamilton, Canada

I am glad you were able to find some positive info here. sometimes these posts get crazy and I am afraid that I hogged the ball a little here.

Lez I am sorry for my last comment, It was insensitive and I didn't have any right making a comment like that.

Yamaha 8335RGM B Flat
    1947 Conn New York Symphony B Flat
    Olds Ambassador (I had to try it). B Flat
    Bach TR300 (First trumpet) B Flat
    Conn 18B Director Cornet (Coprion)
    King Tempo Cornet
    DEG Signature Flugelhorn
    Barrington Flugelhorn
    Conn Director tenor trombone (Coprion)

Ithaca NY

You have sucessfully filtered out what you needed here. Congratulations! I think you should also have your son try the Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew horn. It is light and versatile like the Schilkes. The Bach, an accepted standard, is heavier, and I find mine to be a bit stuffy in the upper register - that may be particular to this specific instrument. I have both a Schilke B2 and an 8310Z and either is less stuffy up high than the Bach.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Good afternoon original poster.

I made a price check down here in St. Louis.

Bach $2095 every horn on the shelf, all professional models, low inventory.
    Xeno $1600 more or less
    Jupiter $1400
    No Getzen's on the shelf.

I like your idea of visiting Schilke. Here is my observation from playing Schilke at the International Trumpet Guild Conference. The B7 and the B2 play with the same effort as my large bore Bach Strad with reverse lead pipe.

I like those Schilke's.
    The B7 has a medium bore with Large Bell.
    The B2 has a Medium Large Bore with a Medium Bell.
    If you can snag a B7 for your 12 year old I would hope he would like it. When he gets to high school and puts on some lung capacity he may like a B2.
    His college teachers at Northwestern may lean toward a Bach.

I would suggest in the short term he stay with Medium or Medium large bore instruments. He will be able to tell which is best by playing them. So take along one of his exercise books and make him play an etude on each horn.
    A 12 year old should have a lacquered brass horn. Silver has to be polished.

Sorry, I thought the Xeno was a little restricted, like playing a Conn Victor cornet.
    Last edited by stchasking; 01-08-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information