Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss After taking a month off from playing? in the General forums; Passion, there has to be some way for you to be able to move on with this. I "hear" the ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: After taking a month off from playing?

Passion, there has to be some way for you to be able to move on with this. I "hear" the change in your tone, from the way you are writing. You seem to be coming to grips with the problem, albeit slowly. Perhaps you need to talk to someone about all this if you can - just talking can help from my experience.

We, here on TM, are not really qualified or appropriate for some sorts of discussions, particularly about depression, although I'm very sure that some of us have suffered in much the same way. But we are all still here. A large number of us have come back to the instrument after decades away - away for many reasons including a loss of interest in the trumpet.

Ask us specific trumpet, music, performance, equipment, questions and we will all jump in, when we get questions about loss of passion for the instrument, most of us are not equipped to answer although we desperately want to help. I know about airplanes for example.

So, whatever your current motivation, start slowly, play stuff you really like, practice in short bursts so that you don't become overwhelmed (bored) all at once, and keep talking to us all - even if we are unable to provide a solution, we ARE able to provide an interested ear and have some sympathy to your cause.

Other TMers and I must be careful NOT to be amateur psychologists - but by you talking to us at least you can clear your mind - we will understand.

On a positive note - you've got the talent to achieve the scholarship - now see if you can find the motivation again - you obviously can do this, but search for ways to enjoy yourself as you play.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Passion, after several months on the comeback trail, I was starting to feel that my progress was not what I expected and I felt that perhaps I would not reach a point where anyone would want to hear me play. Then I discovered several threads here that recommended using a hymn book for practice. I did that and in the first sitting, I played through more than half of the book (have done the other half since and then several more times through). I found the following benefits:
    (1) I could play for long periods without running out of energy, breath, or embouchure (something I had not done before that);
    (2) I could play music that I actually recognized (Arban's interval exercises just did not sound all that musical to me - or anyone else);
    (3) I could focus on things like tone and phrasing rather than fingering and articulation so the result was more musical and enjoyable;
    (4) I could tell if the result was close to the intended sound (since I am familiar with the hymns);
    (5) I felt uplifted by the practice and the time spent, rather than discouraged and disheartened at the end;
    and, last but not least -
    (6) When the neighbors knocked on the door, instead of asking me to stop playing, they asked me to continue because they were enjoying the sound and felt uplifted, too.

So, maybe that is something that you could try and see if it brings some satisfaction and happiness to you as well.

P.S., (7) I was able to improve my sightreading and transpositional skills by playing all 4 voice parts and then playing the hymn in different keys - though the neighbors didn't ask for that activity as much.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend
    Darwin, Australia

Europeans do not hate american tourists. They hate LAZY anything especially tourists that make no effort to speak the local language.

This is why Americans are treated so bad in England

Seriously though, generally if you attempt to speak the language in Non English speaking countries, even Badly they will probably come back straight in English and help you out...However don't attempt their language and they will tend to ignore you. I especially noted this in France, sat in a restaurant and tried to order in French and the waitress was very helpful to me speaking in English. However, she ignored a couple sitting on a table torying to attract her attention in English, with out even trying to speak French. Oh btw don't mind the Germans...'They are always like that' Very abrupt and won't hold a door open for you etc....Not offence is meant, that is just them!

Busking can be pretty much accepted anywhere, sometimes a licences is needed though so good Idea to check in whatever country and indeed city you are

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information