Trumpet Discussion Discuss Air in the General forums; Has anyone ever had one of those days where it feels as though you are trying to play with only ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Has anyone ever had one of those days where it feels as though you are trying to play with only one diseased lung? This morning feels as though I have no air and I was wondering what you folks do to over come this (exercizes, etc)

Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

YES! I know what you mean. I get that way on gigs sometime, although I think that it's a testament to my general lack of physical fitness!

When I was at the Armed Forces School of Music, one of my favorite instructors, SSG (at the time) Matthew Farquhar would often have us do a couple of air exercises prior to starting his stage band practices.

One of them was to suck in as much air as you possibly could - I mean really fill up the lungs. When you didn't think you could suck in any more, you would sip it in. Then, you would blow it all out and completely empty your lungs, and I mean really push it all out. Then, we'd do it again! And again! We'd do that one 3 or 4 times.

Another one he would have us do would be to suck in air in stages, but really fast in counts of 3, and you would blow it all out in counts of 3 too. The goal here was to completely fill with air, and then completely deplete your lungs of air in 3 sharp intakes, and 3 hard blows. Basically, it was:

IN - IN - IN! (completely full) OUT - OUT - OUT! (completely empty)
    IN - IN - IN! (completely full) OUT - OUT - OUT! (completely empty)....

We'd do that about 4 or 5 times. Make sure you have something you can grab onto nearby because you will probably get a bit lightheaded from these, but it passes.

Anyway, once you were done with these little exercises, it was like you had the air of the Big Bad Wolf and you could blow down the walls.

I have done these off an on over the years and I think that if I ever developed any real consistency with them, it would greatly increase my lung capacity and wind power - kind of like doing wind sprints without the sprints.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend
    Yeah, those are effective exercises; we do the same thing for marching band. trickg is right, you will get light headed doing the in for three, out for three.

Thread Information