Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Air and Endurance (Please Help) in the General forums; Great discussion and fantastic video link: I'm definitely going to have to check out more of those! I am really ...
    New Friend
    North Georgia

Re: Air and Endurance (Please Help)

Great discussion and fantastic video link: I'm definitely going to have to check out more of those! I am really an amateur musician even though I've been making music all of my life: it wasn't until I started taking voice lessons 2 years ago that I got the whole breathing concept. And even though I haven't played trumpet in many, many years...I'm amazed at how much better a foundation I have NOW for my return to playing than what I did when I first started. Of course, playing the euphonium in the meantime probably didn't hurt, either

So...maybe expand your horizons and take a voice lesson or two from an opera teacher...
    King 2280 Euphonium
    Conn 6D French Horn
    Holton H179 French Horn
    Olds Ambassador Cornet - Fullerton 1966
    Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe

Piano User
    Gilroy, California

Wow man I"ll have to sooner or later move out of my teeny trailer here and practice in the goose house (now being turned into my bicycle workshop) to practice. I'm keeping my playing "kinda a secret" until I'm good enough to "have something to show" when I admit that yeah, I'm playing trumpet.

I don't want a little stuffy tone.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

john sez:
    My instructor tells me to blow more air to get the high notes out while I'm trying to fix my range. (Because the notes are quiet, not squeeky, quiet) However, when I try it just doesn't work. I have also had problems with tension in the body when I try for high notes which is decently visible in my neck. It doesn't usually but today it hurt a little and made me a little light headed so I decided to try to do something about it.
    It doesn't take a lot of tension and/or air pressure to play the trumpet really well. It does however require a lot of "control"
    When you get the time, you might want to check this out:
    Get on Youtube and watch Alison Balsom, Rapheal Mendez, Wynton Marsalis, and Doc Severensen, and Chris Botti.
    While they all sound great, I want you to pay close attention to their faces.
    What do you see? Almost an emotionless expression when they play.
    You do not see a lot of straining or forceful expressions on their faces. You see no expression but hear beauty. That's control!
    People that play trumpet can generally be put into two categories:
    1)Those who always play blatty, forcefully, do not use dynamics, play too loud, crack notes and basically use the instrument as a musical weapon.
    This is not a necessarily a bad thing since alot of these people get a heck of a lot of enjoyment out of playing the trumpet even if it is in a brutish way.
    2)Those who "sing" through the instrument. These individuals have made the leap from sounding rough, tensed out and brutish(which by the way, is where we all start) to looking controlled and sounding beautiful.
    I would recommend playing your solo page and see how far you can play without tensing up. It will be hard and you will want to tense up but don't. Learn to control the muscles that cause you to tense up. Once you notice you are tensing up (or some area of the body is tensing up), control it by loosening up that area while continuing to play.
    You control your body, your body doesn't control you. Play for as long as you can in one controlled breath and where you stop (run out of air), mark it with a colored pencil. Then try again and this time go a little further but without tensing up. It doesn't take a lot of force to play the trumpet well. It takes a lot of control.
    Last edited by Markie; 07-04-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Polson, MT

This is a very good discussion. I would add just one thing: Don't forget to expel bad air between breaths. It doesn't do any good to have your lungs filled with CO2. This will make you light-headed. (I nearly fainted in church once.) Also, our muscles need oxygen to function.
    1952 Holton Revelation 48 w/ Stork Studio Master VM, Wick 4
    1975 Bach Stradivarius 182 "flugelhorn", Bach 7fl
    1930 Holton Llewellyn, Heim 1
    1990 Bach Stradivarius 180 with 37 bell, 7 leadpipe, Wick 4
    Early 1900s Jaubert Eb peckhorn, cheap Lyle mp
    Early '60s Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Copra Temp
    Olds Ambassador cornet in pieces.
    Kudu Shofar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information