Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Air Usage in the General forums; Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother Everbody's right! The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics ...
    Alberton, Montana USA

Re: Air Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Everbody's right! The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the airstream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

Give it a try, and have fun!
    This is similar to some Taoist "chi kung" methods I have studied.Be carefull
    messing around with "chakras". You might get "kundalini syndrome"!

Post Kundalini Syndrome
    by Yogi Sharanananda

Many people experience Kundalini1 Syndrome2 without ever knowing it, especially practitioners of meditation. When Kundalini energy starts to flow abundantly in a person who has not developed or maintained a clean energy system, then it can cause certain physical, emotional and mental problems. Common physical effects would be overheating, discomfort, exhaustion or hyperactivity. Emotional problems might be heightened temper, depression or manic states. Mental problems might be lack of concentration or oversensitivity to surroundings. When one starts experiencing Kundalini Syndrome, one should temporarily stop or reduce the meditation practices, and concentrate on purifications of the energy bodies. Salt baths and following a vegetarian diet will help to cleanse the energy bodies. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1kun·da·li·ni (kun'da-le'ne)
    n. Hinduism.
    Energy that lies dormant at the base of the spine until it is activated, as by the practice of yoga, and channeled upward through the chakras in the process of spiritual perfection.

2syn·drome (sin'drom')
    n. A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, a psychological disorder, or another abnormal condition.

3yo·ga (yo'ga)
    1. Also Yoga. A Hindu discipline aimed at training the consciousness for a state of perfect spiritual insight and tranquillity.
    2. A system of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Wikipedia on Kundalini: "Summary of Known Problems: Death, pseudo death, psychosis, pseudo psychosis, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, sadness, suicidal thoughts, urges to self-mutilate, homicidal urges, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), exacerbation of prior or current mental illness, insomnia, inability to hold a job, inability to talk, inability to drive, sexual pains, temporary blindness, and headaches."

So if any of these occur while using the RAY OF POWER (ROP gets capital letters to make it seem like something real important) please stop! Don't forget to eat your veggies, too!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Now I know where the K in the Selmer K-Modified came from! A lot of energy in that horn!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Nice talks folks. I am not trying to "intellectualize" anything and I'm not asking on how to play with more air, lol. I just desired to start a discussion on the different ways that people play. I am familiar with the Bobby Shew teachnique and a few others. Anyone else?
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Look at this video with Rafael Mendez. His comments on how to play are also really interesting :

Rafael Mendez

Illinois State University

Quote Originally Posted by Veldkamp View Post
    I forgot to add that the wedge or playing with high air pressure will not do you much good if you don't have strong (lead) chops. Then you just overblow yourself. It's always a balance...

More about air :

Rune's trumpet page, AIR

this "wedge" method is a bit confusing to me they should make some kind of picture or diagram to go along with it. maybe im just not the brightest star in the sky and most people just get it
    "I have never seen a country where they worry so much about their chops as they do in America." -Maurice Andre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information