Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss All Non-COnventional Horn Lubricants Oil Grease??? in the General forums; FWIW, Mike of (does custom trumpet work here in Wichita) told me that he uses Selmer slide grease (the ...
    Piano User
    Wichita, KS

Re: All Non-COnventional Horn Lubricants Oil Grease???

FWIW, Mike of (does custom trumpet work here in Wichita) told me that he uses Selmer slide grease (the red stuff) cut with valve oil for the 1st/3rd valve slides. So that's what I use.
    Making a comeback after 9yrs, one step at a time!
    Wild Thing Bb, Benge Claude Gordon Bb, Yamaha 635ST flugel, Selmer 900 TT C trumpet (possibly for sale - PM me)

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I only used tried and true proven instrument lubrication products now. Saving a couple of cents is not worth the potential lesson to be learned.................
    The BEST valve oil advice on the forum!
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Companies spend thousands of dollars researching this stuff so we don't have to. As a fledgling repair tech, there are a few mixes I know of that are useful in certain situations, but other than those specific mixes, I just use name brand valve oil, slide grease and key oil.
    Dennis wick Valve oil for my trumpet (they sent a free bottle to everyone in NAPBIRT and it is the finest oil i have ever used) Selmer slide grease cut with valve oil, lanolin, and yamaha medium key oil for woodwind work.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Well some Valve oils have siliconesin them according to some synthetic valve oil companies. They claim that silicones are the reasons for rather fast build up with some oils. They would not name name's though only that one of the companies was rather large.They also claimed that alcohola nd sitillates are not good either. Obviously their product is free of all these things. They also warned about useing any grease on slides for the reason the Rowuk mentioned "migration" even if it does not have silicone in it if the grease migrates tot he valves I guess it only takes a little bit to slow the valves down massively. I wish I could easily find out which oils have silicones in them. Most of them list distillates and alcohol but not the specific ingredients normaly.

IN fact many dish soaps and handsoaps and shampoo's have various forms of silicone in them. I know one synthetic oil company recomends Ivory dish soap I believe because it does not have any silicones in it.

I am not sure that silicone per se is the problem. That grease has specific properties and other silicone products may have others.

I use LaTromba T2 valve oil. I have no idea if it is the fastest, but there is no build up or discoloration of the valves, the wear is much lower (I keep my horns for a long time) and 10 years of experience has proven to me that I need not look further. I use slide grease that came with my Monette. It is very thick and sticky. I thin it with Hetman synthetic oil (#14) for rotary valves for the 1st and 3rd slides.

The bottom line is keeping the horn clean. Then you only need small amounts of oil. A bottle of T2 lasts over a year for a single instrument. 8 bucks for a year of peace is cheap insurance.

We have not addressed the toxicity of alternate lubricants. Remember, you inhale aerosols from the instrument when playing.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information