Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Amateur considering teaching amateurs! in the General forums; Go to the local music store and give them a resume. Ask if you can go to the rental day ...
    Monroe Ct.

Re: Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Go to the local music store and give them a resume.
    Ask if you can go to the rental day when they sign up the new students for rentals.
    Tell them the first lesson is free.
    Pick a competitive price for 1/2 hr and 1 hr and be firm.
    If you're hesitant with your quote they will back off.

Good Luck,

Greensboro, NC

I agree with rowuk and the tone of his post. The idea of even thinking about screwing up a young student because of your lack of education and experience is unethical. To be so dumb as to not realized the time and energy we spent learning our craft before we would even consider ourselves good enough to teach someone else is insulting. You deserve a dope slap. Now you want to whine like a teenager because we weren't nice about it! Please grow up!!
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

New Friend
    Ancaster, Ontario

I agree with everything Rowuk said, as well as the tone by which he said it.

I, being a young musician (18) myself, realize what a great resource a forum like this is to an aspiring trumpet player. This thread got way out of hand. You must realize that there are more experienced musicians on here who's only goal is to help students like us achieve our goals and be the best we can be.

It's time you learned how to take the criticism, no matter how harsh it may seem, as it will undoubtedly help you in the future. Instead of taking offense in the comments stated, try to find the positives. You won't learn anything if your not open to criticism.

Hopefully you didn't take this is as an offensive comment, I am merely offering my own opinion. Best of luck this summer, and as long as you work hard and are flexible, employment will be there for you; just not in trumpet teaching.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

There is a long tradition in Germany of amateurs teaching amateurs. In the Posaunenchor tradition, players were typically given a fingering chart and taught to play "Lightly Row," and tossed into the group. Often a more experienced player would mentor the younger ones; on occasion a local orchestral player would take a couple of players under his wing. The results were less than stellar. Fortunately, now many youngsters learn at their local music school.

In the town band tradition, the local music school plays an important role as well. In addition, players can participate in seminars, taking a number of progressively difficult courses and tests that, in the end, qualifies one to conduct. In between one becomes qualified to lead a section and to teach.

If the goal is to make musicians out of beginners, then the teacher should know: how to play the instrument with excellent intonation, sound, and rhythmical accuracy, understand basic theory, have an understanding of the history of music, understand the vocabulary of music, be able to communicate said knowledge; be able to diagnose playing problems.

A professional teacher has thousands of hours of different experiences that makes them worthy of being paid.

Knowing how to apply a band-aid does not qualify one to practice medicine.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Monroe Ct.

Everybody needs to relax!

This place gets really harsh.
    We are here to help one another, this is like Lord of the flies. (I think that's the book where the kids are on an island)
    One person chastises the poster and everybody piles on.

Maybe the kid is ready to teach or maybe not. How about if we teach him?
    I never had a teacher lambaste me like this.

How about a gold star for initiative.

Go out and try new things, In your playing, in teaching, in life.

Pianissimo User
    Cedar Rapids, IA

mamba... Do it.
    I think that you should offer tutoring sessions to a specified group. Kids that have already started and will plan on continuing. I don't know if you should teach the "Trumpet" as more you will be teaching/ tutoring the young in the art of MUSIC. Help them with Ryth Counting, scale names, sight reading, How many flats/ sharps on a page?.... What key is it in? Thing like that, and if the trumpet comes in as the amplifier for the person, than play. You know what sounds good, you know what sounds bad. you know incorrect playing habits for yourself. REMEMBER, NOT ALL PLAYERS ARE THE SAME.
    In conclusion, you have the potential to do a lot of good. but you also have the potential to do a lot of harm.

Good Luck.
    "The Horn is just an Amplifier, The person makes the beautiful music"

Benge 90B,
    64 Olds Ambassador mod.,
    65ish Olds Ambassador Cornet
    Conn 1050b (My 1st Trumpet)

Wishlist: (Let me know If you have played one)
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 Signature
    Kanstul ZKT 1500A Signature
    Phaeton FX Antique Brushed Finish

Mezzo Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba21500 View Post
    Okay, mods, you can have your way now, delete the post if you want.
    No Way....

There is still an open debate here on this thread that needs to be addressed.

Two countries have been mentioned for the best brew, Germany and Ireland.

Though I've never had beer brewed in Ireland, I suppose it would only taste best there, because by the time it made it all the way to North America it would not be so fresh

In all my experience, I have always presented my Gold Medal Award to the country with the finest brew to CANADA

Oh, Mamba, by the way,

The advice that makes you laugh... you remember.
    The advice that makes you consider... you reject.
    The advice that pisses you off... you never, never forget.

If you were to go to Trumpet Hair-oiled, they would chew you up and spit you out.
    Last edited by Bachstul; 07-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Mezzo Piano User

I still don't teach for fear of screwing someone up! (and I've played a few more than 50 gigs!) Teaching is not something that should be taken lightly.

Melbourne Australia

Try Busking to make an extra quid. You're playing...getting practice, and getting heard.

Approach a local supermarket or store, and ensure you have a relevant permit (if needed)...Hell you may actually get a fan club...

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I only advocate this when someone with true knowledge is monitoring it. Taking money with no credentials or previous investment is disgusting.

Whatever happened to selling lemonade.

The next point is why should I give you my stuff for free so that you probably not even understanding half of it, can ruin beginners.

Why don't you take up saxophone or something.

14 year olds don't need more money. They need more common sense AND humility.

In this matter, you make me sick!
    Rowuk - Cheezz! Who got your knickers all in a twist? I have been on this site for a couple of months now and have not encountered such snobbery before. My daughter started teaching guitar to younger kids when she was 16 years old. She is now 36 and still plays, still teaches and some of her former students are music educators and excellent players. I realize that guitar is NOT the same as trumpet and that a 14-year old may have difficulty finding students but why not simply point that out in a calm manner instead of badgering, insulting, belittling and harrassing the kid? Teaching trumpet has to beat gang-banging as an activity. Maybe he knows how to play and maybe he could learn how to teach. What is your personal minimum age for someone to start this? How much "investment" does someone need to make before they are allowed to share it? At least we could help him understand where beginners might run into difficulties but then he might even remember that - it was not too long ago that he was having those same difficulties. Maybe guidance would e better than a brow-beating.
    By the way, as far as shutting down this thread, I have seen others that were far more inane and off-track with no threat of shutting those down. We're all here to help each other, aren't we?
    Last edited by ComeBackKid; 07-08-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information