Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Amateur considering teaching amateurs! in the General forums; Hello all, As you may, or more likely may not know, I am an English 14 year old, and like ...
    Piano User

Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

Hello all,
    As you may, or more likely may not know, I am an English 14 year old, and like all 14 year olds need more money, and like all English have an idea to do so.
    It is far from original, but I am thinking of teaching the trumpet to people that are not as good as me (logical eh?, so basically complete noobs.

So, here's the question, how should I go about doing so?

My plan was to put up a poster in the music department at school, and wait for the calls to roll in, but what from there? How much should I charge? Who am I? etc....

So, if anybody is out there with a head full of advice, please empty it on me like so much water.

Thanks.

Re: Amateur considering teaching amateurs!

I only advocate this when someone with true knowledge is monitoring it. Taking money with no credentials or previous investment is disgusting.

Whatever happened to selling lemonade.

The next point is why should I give you my stuff for free so that you probably not even understanding half of it, can ruin beginners.

Why don't you take up saxophone or something.

14 year olds don't need more money. They need more common sense AND humility.

In this matter, you make me sick!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User

Well im an american 16 3/4 year old so yeah, if I were you id charge 10 bucks, over here people charge 15-20 bucks for a half hour lesson. Id say just introduce yourself as a player to teach beginning players. Because as the player get older (assuming your not super trumpet) they will switch to a profesional private lessons teacher. Thats my view, have fun with it. (im gonna try some english) Top of the day to you.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I only advocate this when someone with true knowledge is monitoring it. Taking money with no credentials or previous investment is disgusting.

Whatever happened to selling lemonade.

The next point is why should I give you my stuff for free so that you probably not even understanding half of it, can ruin beginners.

Why don't you take up saxophone or something.

14 year olds don't need more money. They need more common sense AND humility.

In this matter, you make me sick!
    Well I agree, but I was working as a soccer referee and I was pretty good but marching season came around to where I didnt make but about 35-40% of what I made before, so I quite when they had a uniform make over that would cost my entire spring season profits, so here I am... jobless thanks to the reccesion

Quote Originally Posted by a marching trumpet View Post
    Well I agree, but I was working as a soccer referee and I was pretty good but marching season came around to where I didnt make but about 35-40% of what I made before, so I quite when they had a uniform make over that would cost my entire spring season profits, so here I am... jobless thanks to the reccesion
    You may be jobless, then turn your free time into something that benefits you for the rest of your life: PRACTICE.

Other suggestions:
    Help your mom, do some volunteer work. Get out and improve yours and others lives! Work out, go swimming, ride a bike. Become a real somebody that changes peoples lives through goodness!

Better than sitting around whining about what the thieves did to America.

Mezzo Piano User

haha ok, Yeah the trumpet section and the clari section run and we bike together to work out, despite the huge rivalry it worked out, not sure how but it did, guess cause the trumpet section ldrs are friends with the clarie section ldrs (me and her). Im still building my lost endurance back up from being off for over a month cause of my wisdom teeth complications. So were practicing, and this weekend were having sectionals etc, church work is the volunteer comunity work, oh could I ask you a method question, I have a really really strong high Eb but because of mistate tryouts in nov. I would like to have a double G by then, is that possible and what do you think is a good way to get it? me and my private lessons teacher are doing the pencil exercise, soft loud soft stuff, and overall working on consitancy, im also doin some stuff where you practice buzzing your lips outside of the mouthpiece to make it stronger, any otehr ways I could work it, because I work on those methods then work on memorizing marching music so I do all the high note work at the beginning of practice, not at the end, except for scales...

Mezzo Piano User

Why don't you just offer free lessons at first to someone you know? Get yourself well known, figure out if this is for you, and see if this is your knack before you start charging.
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Wow Robin!

Here s what I recommend:
    I'm guessing that you're in 8th grade. Most band programs start from 4th to 6th grade.
    So, go to the elementary band director and play for him or her. If the director thinks you are good enough to teach, you will get students. If not just go home and practise and cut the lawn for money.

Quote Originally Posted by a marching trumpet View Post
    haha ok, Yeah the trumpet section and the clari section run and we bike together to work out, despite the huge rivalry it worked out, not sure how but it did, guess cause the trumpet section ldrs are friends with the clarie section ldrs (me and her). Im still building my lost endurance back up from being off for over a month cause of my wisdom teeth complications. So were practicing, and this weekend were having sectionals etc, church work is the volunteer comunity work, oh could I ask you a method question, I have a really really strong high Eb but because of mistate tryouts in nov. I would like to have a double G by then, is that possible and what do you think is a good way to get it? me and my private lessons teacher are doing the pencil exercise, soft loud soft stuff, and overall working on consitancy, im also doin some stuff where you practice buzzing your lips outside of the mouthpiece to make it stronger, any otehr ways I could work it, because I work on those methods then work on memorizing marching music so I do all the high note work at the beginning of practice, not at the end, except for scales...
    Only illiterate people talk about double G. That is 2 octaves above the staff. Wasting your face with high notes at the beginning of your practice session is stupid. If you read the posts here, that should also be obvious.

If this thread gets any sicker, I will shut it down! PLEASE, there has to be some high schoolers with brains. Post something intelligent. Make my day!

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Only illiterate people talk about double G. That is 2 octaves above the staff. Wasting your face with high notes at the beginning of your practice session is stupid. If you read the posts here, that should also be obvious.

If this thread gets any sicker, I will shut it down! PLEASE, there has to be some high schoolers with brains. Post something intelligent. Make my day!
    Alright dude, to make your day? How about this? Germany makes the best beer. From what im told

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information