Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Amazing Chris Botti in the General forums; First of all, I don't see the need to compare musicians/artists like we compare athletes-art isn't a competition, it's about ...
    San Francisco

Re: Amazing Chris Botti

First of all, I don't see the need to compare musicians/artists like we compare athletes-art isn't a competition, it's about expressing something. If you like it, great- if you don't then that's cool too, move on to something that you like.

Second of all, not only does Chris have a wonderful tone- he plays with emotion and has something to say, plus he's a genuinely great person. He reaches people with his music. If he doesn't reach you then that only makes him not to you liking. There is nothing wrong with that, but the world is full of those who hate on the accomplishments of others while sitting in their room all day on their computer. (This is a general statement and not directed at anyone in particular)

I'm as big a Miles fan as there is, but when I hear Chris I don't expect to hear what Miles plays- he isn't wired that way and he plays what HE hears. Besides, there's already a Miles. Who's to say what a trumpet player is supposed to sound like anyway? If you are listening for "trumpet" and not what they have to say then you are missing the boat in my opinion. That's like saying Picasso didn't really paint the way you are supposed to paint with water colors.
    Last edited by Bay Area Brass; 07-17-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Bill Ortiz
    '56 Martin Committee Deluxe
    '54 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Couesnon Paris Flugelhorn
    Manning Trumpet Case/Berp Bio Oil
    Bob Reeves Mouthpiece Sleeves/PVA

Never mind ..... a comment on the OP not worth making ....
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 07-17-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: aaiiiiyyyyyy .....
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Great Southern Land

Quote Originally Posted by daleptt View Post
    Anyway, I seldom hear anyone talking about how good Botti really is. I am in awe.
    Because some things are just so evident it isn't needed? I am really impressed by the way Chris can play softly yet with full tone and control. I'm a rather louder player on the whole who struggles with the "cool and quiet" stuff.

I'm happy you made the show -- I missed Chris when he was in town in June (I was overseas playing one of my own gigs ) which was a real shame, as I missed him last time he was in Oz too...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McNeill View Post
    I saw Chris Botti in Melbourne recently, and although I had a few CDs I was not a real fan. After seeing the concert, I had a different view-point. He can really play the horn, and does it without any real effort. He has developed the dark flugel sound on trumpet. He plays 300 days of the year, all around the world, and has done that concert for 7 years. Sorry, he has a following that is loyal, and an evening of entertainment worth paying $$$ to see. He is definitely an entertainer.

I cannot help but think there would be a GREAT concert to have Chris Botti and Herb Alpert play together, their similarily in effortless styles is very similar. I can hear Herb in his playing at times.

Criticism of Botti and Wynton? They are giants in their own right, done the yards and done the time to get where they are. Botti is niche, Wynton is a master. No criticism of either intended. I would pay again to hear either (CD, DVD or live). That is where the bottom line is.

I'm glad others have enjoyed the Chris Botti concert; agree with the OP - great music and musicians.
    I agree. I saw Botti in Melbourne too and he is fantastic.

Everyone has their opinions, doesn't mean you should knock off other peoples opinions

Piano User

Chris Botti is not only a wonderful trumpet player, but a nice guy. I met him at the Blue Note in NYC when he sat in with Maynard. I was about twelve feet away from the stage. No BS. He just played great. I talked to him for about half an hour after the set. He is a good guy. I also attended one of his concerts last year. The group played great,and Chris played his butt off!

Mike Manthey was nice enough to send me a few backstage pictures from that night at the Blue Note.
    Pete Grimaldi

Orlando, FL

I think it's hilarious that this same thread comes up every 3-4 months. Here's the Reader's Digest version:

- Fans: He's amazing. His tone is perfection. He's sold more records than any trumpet player in history. I wish I could sound like that. I wonder if there's a Martin Committee on eBay?

- Guys who know him: His legit and jazz chops are outstanding. When he was at Indiana, he could play anything you threw at him. He is more dedicated to the craft than anyone I've ever met, and is one of the genuinely nicest guys you'll ever meet.

- Sour grapes guys: bleh. Elevator music, grumble, grumble, grumble. He doesn't play real jazz like <insert bebop/post bop player's name here>. Why can't I get a gig like that?

Why is it that when someone gets famous/popular/rich, everyone else who ISN'T feels the need to dump on the guy who made it? Happens to both Chris and Wynton here all the time - and I'd be willing to bet there aren't 10 guys here who could outplay either of them. And why is it that the hate thread is usually started by someone with less than 10 posts?

Personally, I only wish I could play as well as he does. I wish my tone could sound as perfect. I wish I practiced 4-5 hours per day like he does. (Well, no, not really. And that's why I'll never be as good as he is).

Regardless of whether you like his style or the music that he plays, that doesn't change his mastery of the instrument. The fact is, he has persuaded more non-trumpet players to listen to the trumpet in the last 20 years than anyone else has - so if nothing else, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for adding some "cool" to an instrument that most non-musicians associate with the high school geek. No, his music is not as technically difficult to perform as "Flight of the Bumblebee" - but if anyone recorded that in this day and age, it would sell 7 copies.

Before I feed the troll any more, here's a link to every previous Chris Botti discussion we've ever had here - Local 357 might actually learn something.

All of our past discussions about Chris Botti
    Last edited by PakWaan; 07-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    1941 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 large bore
    Taylor Chicago Standard • Getzen Eterna Classic
    Committees: '40 Handcraft MB, '49 Committee
    Olds: a big pile of them • '73 Getzen Severinsen
    '49 Buescher 400 • Yamaha 731 flugelhorn

Los Angeles, CA

I have a few albums of Chris Botti and think he is a great player.

I saw him twice and both times was emotionally moved by his playing.
    2010 Getzen 3895 Custom Flugelhorn - Silver w/Gold Brass Bell
    2010 Getzen 3850 Custom Cornet
    2009 Bach Stradivarius New York 7
    1956 Olds Recording
    1920 Abbott Mfg Company

Monette B6 S1 / Kanstul G2
    Monette B6-FL - Cornet
    Kanstul C.G. Personal F - Flugelhorn

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    For the record, I know Till and he really does not like to be compared to any musician except himself. Maybe we should pick on Chuck Mangione instead?
    Nah. His hair's too long.

Seems like I walked face-first into an on-going controversy I wasn't aware of. Could I assume this is not a one-off thread, but a continuum in time of a familiar topic? I guess this would be like starting yet another "Kenny G Sucks/Is Wonderful" thread on Sax on the Web, what!?

Regarding the comment above about comparing players being a bit sophomoric, I think my point was missed. Sure, taking a poll on who's the "better" trumpeter, Maynard or Arturo, might be a bit simplistic, but comparison is an age-old and effective way of getting one to think and express one's self critically. If it's done the right way, it's valid.

Sooo - if anyone would like to understand better what I hear is missing for me, in the performance of Chris Botti that I have seen/heard, it's easier for me to say, well, give a listen a to some of the performances of Til Brönner - a musician who is being promoted in the same general genre - and you can understand better what I don't hear in Chris' performances and why they don't captivate me in the same way.

Peace out - gotta go check out the Women's World Soccer Cup final, Japan vs. USA.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Quote Originally Posted by kehaulani View Post
    Nah. His hair's too long.

Seems like I walked face-first into an on-going controversy I wasn't aware of. Could I assume this is not a one-off thread, but a continuum in time of a familiar topic? I guess this would be like starting yet another "Kenny G Sucks/Is Wonderful" thread on Sax on the Web, what!?
    Yeah, this comes up on a regular basis. The anonymity of the internet lets the trolls print things that they wouldn't have the guts to say in the presence of those criticized................

I do react strongly each time it comes up. I believe that is one of the reasons that we do not have (as many) flame wars as other trumpeting sites. I challenge the nonsense. Sometimes valid considerations come up. I believe there is much more to "fact" than one persons opinion.

Kenny G has a load of stuff that even less experienced players can have fun with. Countless highschool bands have pleased audiences with "A Wonderful World". Music to tap your foot to. Louis' version is a bit tougher - that voice can't be taught!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Minerva, OH

I agree with you. His book up artist transcriptions is amazing just a look at let alone the play
    John Phillips
    Minerva, OH
    GO Buckeyes!!!!

1946 LA Olds Super (Soon )
    1960's Besson 2-20 (in for repair soon)
    Selman 815 Bb Flugel (still awaiting repair)
    1997 Bach TR200 (SOLD!!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information