Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss are American horns popular in other countries? in the General forums; American horns are popular in Germany, sure. As other things are too: Clothings (Jeans), Music + other Entertainment (Hollywood), Electronics, ...
    mat
    New Friend
    American horns are popular in Germany, sure.

As other things are too: Clothings (Jeans), Music + other Entertainment (Hollywood), Electronics, Guitars, Cars and so on.

If a product origins American or German doesn´t make any real difference to me. I´m usually just looking for the product, that best suits my needs - hopefully with a reasonable price.

Industries are thinking and working globaly, much more than politicians want you to know (what happened to Chrysler?).

But back to the question: are there any equivalent trumpets to american brands?
    In Germany the Challenger trumpets are coming up and are making a good comparison to Bach, IMHO.
    There are german brands like Kühnl & Hoyer or Meinl or Alexander or even Hohner, but IMHO, most professional trumpets from America are a real good choice.
    And trumpets from smaller factories (Galileo, ExBrass or even Inderbinen from Swiss) are more expensive.

Sorry for my stumbling english - still working on it.

greets
    matthias
    Free your mind and your ass will follow (F.F.F.)

Mezzo Piano User
    Sorry I opened such a can of worms by mentioning rotary valve trumpets.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Pianissimo User
    Bach's seem to be the choice of most players here in Mexico as well. Yamaha would be a somewhat distant 2nd. Schilke's, especially the piccolos and Ebs, are also popular.

JU

New Friend
    If I am being blunt the answer to your question is simply Yes - the rest of the world does play American horns but they also play "localy made gear" - just like Americans play American horns and horns from other countries.

Many countries make many fine horns - I could easily put up a post saying "do other countries play British horns or locally made gear"...or "do other countries play German horns or locally made gear".

America is one country in a large world.
    Schilke B1
    Yamaha 6335HS2
    GR 3M

Piano User
    "Many countries make many fine horns"

that's what i was curious about.
    why don't you post some links to some of the better ones?
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

New Friend
    From the Uk have a look at www.taylortrumpets.co.uk Very interesting horns that sound great (if different) and are exceptionally well made. The valves are the best I have ever encountered and the sound of the Chicago is big and full and rich but is very free blowing. A very different sort of sound and trumpet.

I have never played the Eclipse (also from the UK) but I have heard very positive comments about these trumpets. Noel Langley plays and endorses these. They have the tuning slide on the end of the bell flare a little like the tunable schilkes except the actual bell and flare are fixed as of a normal trumpet. I have been on their website and it is interesting and informative. I think it is www.eclipsetrumpets.co.uk but I can't swear to this. I think they may atually use the same valve block as the Taylor but again I am not sure on this.

There's two from the UK to get the ball rolling! - hopefully some other people can make some good contributions from other countries!

All the best

Graham.
    Schilke B1
    Yamaha 6335HS2
    GR 3M

mat
    New Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrmphilly
    "Many countries make many fine horns"

that's what i was curious about.
    why don't you post some links to some of the better ones?
    Interesting horns from Germany are made by http://www.galileo-brass.de and also by http://www.exbrass.de/musik/index.html

Franz Straub from Bavaria ( www.straub-trumpets.com ) is building the new Severinson - trumpet.

Other Factories like http://www.musik-alexander.de/ or Meinl (sorry, I have no link) are more specialized in Instruments for German "Blasmusik". These "Blasorchester" are unique brass bands featuring Trumpets, Flugels, Trombones, Tenorhorns, Baritons, French Horns, Clarinets, Saxes, Tuba and Drums, playing marches as well as Symphonic Brassmusic or special arranged popular Titles. They are similar to the Band in the movie "Brassed Off".
    In these "Blasorchester" Rotary Trumpets are widely used. But not exclusive.

Are you familiar with Challenger Trumpets? ( http://www.challenger-trumpets.com/ )
    The same factory http://www.vogtlaendische-musik.com/ also assembles Scherzer Trumpets.

There are some other fine brands used by classical players, but I´m sorry I have no links at present.

Bach and Schilke are widly used, most shops have some models available. Stomvi from Spain are coming up (very good trumpets) http://www.stomvi.com/ and Courtois (French, www.antoine-courtois.com ) is even played by Sergei Nakariakov from Russia . . . .

Personally I learned playing on a Rotary Trumpet and became a proud owner of a Blessing XL when I was fifteen.
    Today I own a Classic French Besson MEHA and love to play my Holton LT302.

greets
    matthias
    Free your mind and your ass will follow (F.F.F.)

Bachs are very common over here (UK), but are by no means the only brand people use - Yamahas and Conns are becoming more popular: Andrew Crowley, a famous London pro, plays and endorses Yamaha, and James Watson, another famous London player, plays a Conn V1, while Paul Archibald plays Lechners (A German brand: http://www.musik-lechner.com/english..._body_bla.html).

Lechner is an austrian manufacturer, same as Schagerl.
    German manufactures are Thein, Scherzer and Monke...
    All these brands provide rotary trumpets, find out details
    on their website.

Apologies - I thought they were German.

Paul plays a Lechner Bb piston, which sounds great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information