Trumpet Discussion Discuss That Annoying Fuzz in the General forums; Hi Manny, Sometimes I get a very annoying fuzz in my sound, which, I'm sure is caused by an aperture ...
    New Friend

That Annoying Fuzz

Hi Manny,

Sometimes I get a very annoying fuzz in my sound, which, I'm sure is caused by an aperture that's too large. The problem is on some days it's there during my warm up and never goes away. Other days it starts to happen as I get tired. Obviously on the days where I start out with the fuzz is a very bad day. To compensate for the huge hole I end up putting tons of pressure on my upper lip which in turn means I can play effectively for 20 minutes, then I'm done. In my job I really can't that happen as I'm performing all the time.

What can be done to make sure I don't blow my aperture out, or better yet, keep it focused all the time? I've done a good bit of isometric type work-outs for my corners so they feel pretty strong. Is there anything else?

Thanks a ton!
    Always hoping for Par...

Utimate User
    dear Par,

You're close to what the long term solution is but off in direction.

Yes, the fuzz is a partial vibration of both lips instead of that nice complete vibration that helps us create a pure sound. However, what I'd like you to try requires a different way of thinking.

Where the mustache would be, imagine those are steel plates that have a nice downward angle, more downward than you would have if you were doing something non-trumpet-related.

Take a normal, full breath and at the end and I mean very end of the breath, make sure those "plates' are in that nice, angled, downward position. If you do that while you read this you'll notice that it's the exact position one would achieve if one were to say the word "TOOH".

So, the moral of the story is 1) take a maximum breath no matter the length of the phrase and 2) say "TOOH" on each and every note you play. Not just some but every note.

After saying all that, I'm going to assume that you are not starving the embouchure by freezing your stomach stiff. I'm going to assume that when you exhale you let the stomach collapse inward just as you do when you cough or sneeze.

Try that and let us know how it goes.

Thread Information