Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Any advice for me as a musician? in the General forums; While I still think the MMC1 is truly a very specialized mouthpiece for an advanced symphonic player, without seeing you ...

Re: Any advice for me as a musician?

While I still think the MMC1 is truly a very specialized mouthpiece for an advanced symphonic player, without seeing you in person, I cannot and will not tell you don't use it. If you were my private pupil, it would take me 5 minutes to see if it really is right for you.
    I am curious as to what you are looking at in solos. Virtually any really advanced solo requires some manner of multiple tonguing and many "easy" solos do as well but to a lesser extent. Every solo in the back of the Arban's requires considerable multiple tonguing skill.
    For a true great's take on mouthpiece sizes, check out Jens Lindemann's post here. There is considerable wisdom in his writings.
    There is some good advice is some of the posts. Follow it.
    As Mendez said, if you want to learn to play fast, learn to play slow first.
    Rich T.

New Friend

Thanks for all of the great responses so far guys, it really helps to hear it from people with a lot more experince in a students perspective. But solo's I'm referring to would be Haydn's trumpet concerto, Hummel's trumpet concerto, Arban's Carnival of Venice.

To play the Haydn and Hummel "more musically" we need a solid basic rhythm and command of the patterns first. Then we need to understand what Haydn and Hummel actually wanted to say/do. Then we need to understand the instrument that this piece was written for. Then we go do the right thing.
    The instrument was a keyed trumpet and had a much different tone in the lower register than in the higher "clarino" register. Both Hs highlighted these differences. Also the availability of chromatics was a major issue. If you do a search on Haydn here, you will discover hundreds of posts about this.

Arban is a bit different. He wanted to establish the cornet as a (or THE) premiere solo instrument next to the violin, piano and flute. Unfortunately, trumpet players do not want to practice as much as those other instruments, so except for a few world class players, I will say that he failed.

The Carnival of Venice is the WORST solo from Arban to start with (there are too many great recordings - everyone knows how they should sound.........). The Arbans book is a conservatory method (at least the cover says so). That means a conservatory approach is intended. That means build the skills first and then pick the solo that matches the skills (there are many choices). Musical in this case means SPECTACULAR.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New York State USA

just become a drummer and you won't have to worry about being musical

New Friend
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by duanemassey View Post
    Find a teacher.
    Close the books, close your eyes, and play. Do this on a regular basis until you can play what you hear in your head.
    Listen to non-trumpeters as well (I grew up listening to Desmond).
    Read Rowuk's post several times, he makes great sense.
    I agree with this posting and I would like to reiterate it. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN. Especially if you want to learn jazz. Find something you enjoy listening to and figure it out on the horn. Trumpet and non-trumpet players (BTW..Desmond has such a sweet sound) this will also help train your ear and improve your memorization skills. I think you are placing to much emphasis on what mouthpiece to use at this stage... get the basics down first (tonguing, breathing, phrasing) then figure out what gear will help you.
    1939 Conn 12b, "Coprion" Bell
    1986 Bach Strad 180MLS, 72 Bell
    2010 Yamaha Custom Z YTR-8335LA

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent.
    - Calvin Coolidge

New Friend

Rowuk - That makes me feel a lot better then that when i played a piece this year called The Hollow Men, that I took the time to read and analyze the poem that it was written for The Hollow Men by T.S. Elliot (if i'm not mistaken).

Byfbo96 - And yeah I think so too but honestly it feels like a lot of the time now people are like the problem is your equipment. Like my band director would be like you are sounding bright look into a bigger mouthpiece then a 3c, and I blew him off for a while and just did what I thought was right only getting the bigger one when I wanted to. Also they put a lot of pressure on getting a Bach Strad. Personally I like my Capri but it's always about the Bach Strad. So I mean I'm not making excuses I completely agree I need to focus less on the equipment but I was just letting you guys know the pressure that some people put on you about what equipment you do use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information