Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Any good suggestions for Method books? in the General forums; I just recieved $100.00 And want to get some more method books. I have Arbans and working to get Clarke ...
    Banned Pianissimo User
    Cape Coral, FL

Any good suggestions for Method books?

I just recieved $100.00 And want to get some more method books.

I have Arbans and working to get Clarke already.

Any others to suggest?

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Any good suggestions for Method books?

Schlossberg, the Breathing Gym, The Brass Gym, Vizzutti Technical Studies, The Modern Jazz Trumpet Method, Stamp Studies, Caruso Studies, St Jacome Flex Studies, the list goes on.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Chicowicz Flow Studies.
    Rich T.

Dayton, Ohio

What is your immediate goal?
    coolerdave likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

San Pedro

Arban's ... a must
    Clarkes Technical Studies ... must
    Vizzutti Book 1 .... arguably a must.
    The Complete Sight Reading Etudes for Trumpet by Mark Ponzo .. highly reccomended
    Saint Jacombs ... highly reccomended
    Claude Gordon Systematic Approach .. highly reccomended

There is some redundancy of sorts in these books ... I like Vizzuti's book one because it has technical studies, similar to the Clarkes . here are also range and warm ups similar to Claude Gordan's exercises ... and tonguing exercises as in the Arban's. I think it's a great all around book.
    trumpetplayer231 likes this.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

The Vizzutti books are outstanding.
    den2042 likes this.

Piano User
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by richtom View Post
    Chicowicz Flow Studies.
    Rich T.
    This. And Irons 27 Groups of Exercises, E.F. Goldman Practical Studies, Concone Lyrical Studies, and Gekker Articulation Studies.
    Eric Sperry
    2015 Bach LT1901B
    1967 Bach 37
    2010 Bach Philadelphia
    1978 L.A. Benge Piccolo
    1980s Callet New York Flugel
    1960s Olds Ambassador Cornet

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

I like the Irons book as well. Arbans should keep you busy for a bit!
    coolerdave likes this.

The Buzzing Book by James Thompson
    Monette 6
    Monette B6LDS

New Friend

Top 4 books that everyone should have:

-Arban (everything, I especially prefer the mutiple tonguing sections. The solos and etudes in the back are great challenging material to worth through, also.)
    -Clarke (efficiency, fingers, articulation when you tongue it, range.)
    -Irons 27 Groups OR Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities (flexibility, endurance, range)
    -Schlossberg Daily Drills (general chops, articulation, endurance/power/range. Somewhat similar to Arban, is better for some things and weaker in others. Has better flexibility sections than Arban but worse than Irons/Bai Lin/etc.)

Good supplements:
    -Stamp Warm-ups (centering, airflow, warming up in general. READ the front.)
    -Buzzing Book by James Thompson (great approach to buzzing/warm-up, helps flexibility and sound a lot. Do it with the CD's and READ the front pages.) This and Stamp have similar uses, and are very compatible, but it's probably better to choose just one and take it to heart. Doing both every day would take a lot of time.
    -Gekker Articulation Studies (articulation obviously, also really works your scales)

I would work on mastering the top 4 books (and then the Gekker) before getting more niche stuff - if you can play the snot out of all of these you will basically be able to handle anything. The Warmup-type books are only a small sampling of the possibilities out there and are the ones which worked best for me. You need something like one just to keep your chops going strong. Less developed players especially need a structured routine to keep them on the right track, IMO.

Also get an etude book(s) appropriate for your level, to keep you working through music. The faster you can master an etude the better. Some of my favorites:
    -The shorter pieces in the back of the Arban, before the Characteristic Studies and cornet solos. These are good for beginners through intermediate and progress pretty logically. They make good sightreading material for older players too. I mostly used these until high school but I was pretty advanced, many high school players could still use it. The Concone Vocalises are great for developing your lyrical playing and are pretty simple.

-Wurm, Brandt, Bosquet etude books. All are solid books for a high school level player while still being tough. Also work on the Arban Characteristic studies at this level. The Wurm is the easiest and has a more Russian style, Brandt is orchestrally oriented, and the Bosquet is more a French style as are the Arban studies. For supplemental material, the Snedocor Lyrical, Operatic, and Low Note etude books are all very good and address aspects of playing less emphasized in the other choices. I would suggest getting one of Wurm/Brandt/Bosquet (get another once you finish one) and one of the Snedocors.

-Above the level of these books you shouldn't need to ask, but Charlier is the obvious next step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information