Trumpet Discussion Discuss Any interesting Memorial Day stories??? in the General forums; Hey Everybody, Reading the posts on Taps at the Indy 500 got me thinking about all the players on here ...

Any interesting Memorial Day stories???

Hey Everybody,

Reading the posts on Taps at the Indy 500 got me thinking about all the players on here that either do taps or perform in some other way for Memorial Day. There's gotta be a ton of funny/sad/touching stories out there. Anyone care to share them?

I play in a community band up here in New Hampshire. We did a gig at a small town nearby and played quite a few Patriotic songs and Sousa (is that redundant?). The wind was gusting up to 30mph and sheet music was flying all over the place (even with clips/plexiglas)! The guy beside me had his stand blow over before we started and it knocked his Strad over onto the asphalt (ouch!).

Other than the wind, great ceremony.
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Casper, WY

Re: Any interesting Memorial Day stories???

Opened the door. Walked outside. Played taps. Not the Indy 500, but some folks in town may have appreciated it.

In a room in a house

My mouthpeice got stolen by another trumpet player while we where marching. I got it back though. I wasnt the only one though atleast.

Oh.... some kid couldnt figure out how to play taps who kinda took my job some how. That was funny.
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

Deep in the heart of TX

Home town still has its annual Memorial Day parade - was in it as kid and through Jr./Sr. High School in marching band. A few years back - the retired Jr. High Director was on Dept. Of Parks & Recreation - and got an alumni & friends band together - called us all out of our "retirement" and got us all back under his baton (and yes he used a little guilt trip on us....)! He was in his 70s and had just had angioplasty - and marched right with us - just like he had 30 years before - he managed to get over 60 of us together - as big a band as we ever had in our town! First time I marched with them - I was 40 - hadn't marched since freshman year in college - and our town is on a hill - long slow climb up Main Street and over to the cemetary - he signalled the start - I took and deep breath - and told the drum line behind me to just march over me!!!! Was my wakeup signal to start working out again. I also don't remember worrying about how uneven the street surface was when I marched in High School... But what a great and fun experience - best reunion ever. And a great way to show our respect on Memorial Day by continuing the tradition in the parade. Have had to drop out as I'm in Texas - but I do miss the experience and the people!
    Kanstul 1525 Flugel
    Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Z Flugel
    1967 Getzen Eterna (my 2nd - still going strong after all these years)
    1961 Olds Special (my 1st...battered, bruised, & passed around but back home)

Thread Information