Trumpet Discussion Discuss Anyone do their own horn plating? in the General forums; I'm just curious as I ordered some plating stuff to do mpcs and hopefully horns. I ordered nickel, gold and ...

Anyone do their own horn plating?

I'm just curious as I ordered some plating stuff to do mpcs and hopefully horns. I ordered nickel, gold and some stuff called black krome. I'm going to try the black krome on my Yamaha 6335HGSII and if it turns out ok, I'm going to try and do a two-tone black with gold trim. Should be pretty interesting...especially if I do the same treatment to my gold Malone C!

Anyway, if anyone's done their own stuff before, drop me a line as I've got about 30 million questions!

Thanks,

John
    All the Best,

John P. Gulyas, MU2, USN
    US Navy Band Southeast
    NAS Jax, FL

Is it supposed to look something like this?

Quite a job plating your own horn - although I have heard some people do it successfully.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

I was thinking along those lines. However, instead of gold plating the tips of the slides, I was going to plate it just like a lacquer/silver horn. The gold would be colser to the valve block instead of the outer portion of the slide.

Anyone know how much tubing a typical horn has in feet? I talked with the plating company I ordered my stuff from today and they suggested dipping the horn. That'd be much easier but how would you go about plugging the holes of the horn so no plating gets inside?? Use tape to cover the bell, leadpipe and valves?

John
    All the Best,

John P. Gulyas, MU2, USN
    US Navy Band Southeast
    NAS Jax, FL

New Friend
    Hum...interresting thing... I Wouldn't plate/lacquer my horn my self... maybe if I had the equipment to...

(I leave it for a retreat hobby... notice that i'm 18... planning things... of just when I'll have money to spare on such equipment ( horn reparing/plating...) I'll may get to buy tons of Olds Ambassador and modifie them.. but surely not for now)

But that dark Nickel plated cornet is really questionning me!

I've already seens a few dark nickel plated Sax. They were Eldorado Sax (this is my local store (twigg musique) instrument lines). I think they are made by Yamaha... Same qualitie. Eldorado goes from flute to tuba passing by percussion. Anyway... They don't have dark nickel plated trumpet...

I matter to know what is the effect of nickel plating a trumpet? Gold darken, silver brighten... what about nickel?

If you could provide some info on that horn... I'd really like to know?
    -= 709 royal canadian air cadet squadron brass instructor =-

The horn was done by

http://www.musical-instrument-repair...mpetrepair.htm

They specialize in that kind of thing. I bookmarked it one night because it caught MY eye too!

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Thread Information