Trumpet Discussion Discuss Anyone have or have played a Yamaha YTR-8345S Xeno Trumpet? in the General forums; If so, do you recommend it?...
    Pianissimo User

Anyone have or have played a Yamaha YTR-8345S Xeno Trumpet?

If so, do you recommend it?

Fortissimo User
    I tried one for about 1/2 hour one evening. I think the way you perceive the playing characteristics will be (mostly) a function of your experience and what instrument you have been primarily playing on most recently.

In my case I had been playing a Schilke B1 for several months. I did not find the 8345 to my liking. HOWEVER, I know several other trumpet players in our Community band who really enjoyed it. They had been playing (and still do) Bach Strads. The gentleman who was trying out the Xeno for a week was looking for a jazz horn; he ended up buying a Schilke B42L. He did, however, indicate (and so did the other four members of the semi-pro brass quintent he leads) that he found the Xeno more "in tune" than his Bach.

I guess the best advice is for you to just go and try one (or two or three) and decide for yourself!

Pianissimo User
    Tootsall,
    Thanks for your reply. My recent playing experience has been with a new "Benge" (didn't like it), and a Getzen (wasn't the most thrilling of horns). I'll try a few Yamaha Xeno models tomorrow.

I'm itching to get back to playing.

New Friend
    My Xeno 8345S story................

After a few months of searching, I selected and bought an 8345S earlier this year. After playing it for a few months (and loving it), I discovered while cleaning it that the leadpipe was badly corroded. I took it back to the store and they contacted Yamaha and sent it back for a replacement horn. (Yamaha was very good about standing behind their product and honoring the warranty) The only problem was, the process took about 3 long months. While waiting, I went to Winsor, tried out and bought a ZeuS. After I got the new replacement Xeno from Yamaha, I sold it on ebay, making some kid in Texas very happy. (I couldn't afford keeping two new horns. Since the ZeuS was now used (by me) and the Yamaha new, I decided I could get most of my money back by selling the new horn.)

If my original Xeno didn't have a problem, I'd still be happily playing it. It has a large bore and is very free-blowing. The mouthpiece that comes with the horn produces a huge, dark sound, although I was more comfortable using my Schilke 13C4. "Silky smooth" is about the best description of the way it played for me.

RIch

Pianissimo User
    I tried a total of 12 trumpets today, decided to purchase...

Bach 180S37 Silver Plated Stradivarius Bb Trumpet.

http://kisielka.com/My%20Axe.htm

I get it in 3 weeks and can't wait to play!

New Friend
    Spawn,

What 12 trumpets did you try before settling on the Bach?

Before I bought the 8345S I tried a V1 yellow brass bell, V1 sterling bell, a Yamaha 8335RGS, a Benge, a Bach 180S-37, and a Holton MF 306(which ever is the large bore MF).

The V1's felt great in the hand and I liked the short throw valves, but they had a tighter blow than I was looking for.

The RGS also felt a little restrictive.

The Benge reminded me of a Conn Director.

I tride two Bachs. One had slow valves and just didn't play right. The other needed some work done before the store would even let me try it. They were both brand new.

The MF horn was wide open, but felt cheap. Some notes made the horn vibrate. It was a little weird. (I have an old ST302 as my back up horn. It is much more solid than the new version IMHO)

The 8345S was like driving a new Cadillac.
    Lawler TL6R-1A, Large Bore
    ZeuS Guarnerius w/Copper Bell
    Getzen Eterna II 1200S
    Getzen SK Severinsen Eterna
    Holton ST-302 MF Horn
    1966 Conn Connstellation Cornet
    (short wrap)

Pianissimo User
    No, I used to play a Benge (1974-1978). I tried a new Benge, but it felt like a "knock-off". I tried Getzens, Yamaha Xenos, Conns, etc... The Bach had a great feel to it when I played. I didn't want the store display model as it has some minor dings to it. I had to order it that's why the 3 week wait.

Hopefully the store model will still be there when the new horn arrives. Then I can compare both of them.

In any case, if I don't like the new horn, I may get the store display or figure something else out.

The horn was listed at $2,420.00 but I am paying $1,499.00 for it.

Thread Information