Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Anyone studied under some greats? in the General forums; Originally Posted by Darten Ed, In that case, what is the percent of that percent that teach as a volunteer? ...
    Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Anyone studied under some greats?

Quote Originally Posted by Darten View Post

In that case, what is the percent of that percent that teach as a volunteer? I am curious.
    Not a statistic submitted to be included in my analysis, but many years ago I was tutoring a class on trumpet in a Boy's Club (Now coed) without receiving any pay or other benefit. I'd like to believe that such as 1 were multiplied at least a million times in each of the 50 U.S. States. I do know that many teachers put in many more hours than those in the classroom for which no pay or benefit is forthcoming.

Perhaps the crux of this issue lay in liability for instruments, teachers, and students where there isn't adequate budget to pay the insurance premiums. I have observed that many community park playground equipment has now been removed due to unavailable funding for liability insurance and/or compliance with the latest safety regulations, ordinances, or law. Too, as a Boy Scout, I was tutoring other Scouts for their merit badge in Bugling (Then I already had mine) and recieved nothing then either.

Hillsborough, NJ

in many cases not related to music and trumpet playing exclusively, a great performer cannot translate his/her abilities to others very well at all. Sometimes the less talented are better at teaching than the stars of the world.
    BigDub comments welcome!
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Mezzo Piano User
    State of Confusion

I stated that I studied for a few years under a gentleman named - Dwight Carver.
    Mind you his past is amazing --- He was in the Mellophone section of the Stan Kenton band.
    He was in actuality a French Horn player.
    Dwight and I became friends when I put out the word that I needed a french horn player for a group I had been hired to start that was associated with the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey. We would play at various functions at the school and we were directly associated with the school. This was around 1994 or 1995.
    We were in essence the Naval Post Graduate School Brass Ensemble. Even though I started the group, it was a known that if a student of the NPS wanted to be a member that we would audition the student and they would become a member. It was a fun group and the music was fun. We used a lot of Canadian Brass charts.
    One quick story -- The priest assigned as Chaplain to the NPS was retiring and he asked me if we would play at his retirement ceremony.
    Our usual make up was 2 trumpets, one trombone, one French horn and a Tuba/Euphonium. I found a cool arrangement of Handel`s Water Music, but it required more instruments than what we normally played with. So I put out the word. I ended up re-writing and re-arranging the music to better compliment what we had and we still had some parts doubled.
    We ended up with 4 trombones. 4 trumpets and 6 french horns -- because they wanted to play with Dwight -- 1 bass trombone and one Euphonium.

Everyone in the group was a known musician locally and even as far north as San Francisco. We did not lack for talent. I was besides myself, because all these musicians were putting their ego`s aside to play for the retirement ceremony of this Chaplain. We did not get paid for this gig -- It was a food gig as we called it. The food was exquisite and the wine flowed freely!!

The water Music resounded throughout the main building where they had the ceremony. We were upstairs so that was really cool!!
    We also played a piece called - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. At the end of the piece it called for a piccolo trumpet solo of pure 8 measures of ad lib ---- you guessed it-- (I had asked Dwight to play the pic solo) Dwight pulled out his Pic and that must have been what heaven sounded like. All the trumpet players were in awe of that 8 bar solo.

I lost track of Dwight back in approx 2006! What a human being, he loved to help and if asked would right then and their help you if you were having issues with anything musical.

There is also a little known story of Dwight playing French Horn for the Monterey Symphony. You must remember Dwight as a french horn player was at one time considered one of the best in the world. He had played under Seiji Ozawa and other famous conductors in his prime. In fact Dwight was -as I heard it one of Ozawa`s favorites. Anyway -- the story goes the Symphony was ready for the downbeat and Dwight was nowhere to be seen. The other french horns were in panic mode - Dwight had a french horn solo at the beginning of the piece. The conductor had asked one of the french horns to be ready in case Dwight did not show up. Next thing everybody know Dwight was in his seat, no warm up, no pitches.....started the piece on pitch and the rest is history.
    That was Dwight. As he became older he became more and more of a maverick. Dwight had some land in San Luis Obispo or Santa barbara where he liked to spend time. If you managed to catch up with Dwight his whole life was music........ He had quite a studio.

Just google -- Dwight Carver......I learned a lot from that guy!!

My Mellophonium Mood

The Stan Kenton Mellophoniums
    Dwight Carver was involved with each phase of the mellophonium section's development and was regarded as one of the few people that actually liked playing the instrument. Carver used a French horn mouthpiece with his horn and his dark sound was effectively utilized on the lead parts.16
    Last edited by JediYoda; 01-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    two Olds Recordings -- 1 sold!
    Yamaha C trumpet YTR - 745
    Besson Eb/D trumpet
    Bach G trumpet - 2
    Bach Herald Trumpet
    Olds Ambassador - circa 1959 - Fullerton -- sold!!
    H.B.Jay Co. Columbia model trumpet 1910 gold plated
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Couesnon Lafayette Trumpet -- sold!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information