Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Anyone try playing flute? in the General forums; I played the video until I could see the fingering on a held note clearly. Then I picked up my ...

Re: Anyone try playing flute?

I played the video until I could see the fingering on a held note clearly. Then I picked up my Bb trumpet and went up half-steps until the tone matched. Two half-steps would have been a C trumpet. Four half-steps would have meant a D trumpet. Five makes it Eb.
    1952 Holton Revelation 48 w/ Stork Studio Master VM, Wick 4
    1975 Bach Stradivarius 182 "flugelhorn", Bach 7fl
    1930 Holton Llewellyn, Heim 1
    1990 Bach Stradivarius 180 with 37 bell, 7 leadpipe, Wick 4
    Early 1900s Jaubert Eb peckhorn, cheap Lyle mp
    Early '60s Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Copra Temp
    Olds Ambassador cornet in pieces.
    Kudu Shofar.

impressive or obsessive..hmm
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by coolerdave View Post
    impressive or obsessive..hmm
    Excellent point! However, I believe for we players that we need to be obsessive with practice to become impressive with performance.

Still, I have no desire to achieve performance equal to Allison's or other, and I do believe she is guided by a maestro while she focuses on the music.

I've noted also that she closes her eyes at times and at other times just looks along her instrument. Her eyes don't move side to side in scanning her surroundings or reading any music (and I didn't see any music this time).

New Friend

-I had to go to Wikipedia to see what a "fipple" is- incidentally, it was a tin whistle that sparked my interest in the concert flute. It difficult trying to partially cover the holes to produce a sharp/flat.
    I wish I had the vocabulary to describe this properly, but I would say that a flute is analogous to a french horn in the same way the tin whistle is to a trumpet- the trumpet and tin whistle are pretty straightforward in their harmonics. Whereas I found myself "lost" playing a fh, the pitch produced seemed to have little to do with what keys where pressed. And this was only a single horn!

New Friend

I'm generally against grave digging threads, but there's a lot of discussion on the topic and I feel this would be the best place to provide my input. I have played trumpet for about 8 years now (I'm not the best or anything, however I am fairly proficient with the instrument). A few months ago, a friend of mine passed on an old flute for a handsome price and I decided to pick it up. I haven't experienced any issues at all regarding my embouchure on either instrument, and I can switch between the two very easily. They both require different muscle sets, so I can go to flute after getting tired from playing trumpet, and visa versa. If anybody takes up the flute, they will have to obviously develop a flute embouchure, and endurance will be weak compared to trumpet at first; but after this is taken care of you shouldn't have any issues.

Flute is pretty hard to play in tune. I only "muck around" on one, and don't take it at all seriously, and will not invest the time to do any better.

To keep in the Bb area, then the Clarinet is a good instrument to learn, and the Soprano Sax and Tenor Sax are dead easy. These are good to round out the axes in the bag. Flutes - well learn one, but it is easier just to criticise the Flute players. Remember the Old Joke: "How do you get 4 flute players to play in tune? Shoot 3 of them."
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Peter, I played an alto sax years ago. There was a fingering chart on the wall. I got an excellent tone right off. I remember running up the scale quickly. I think a trumpet player could double on sax pretty easily. It wouldn't work the other way around though. We trumpet players should stick to doubling on brass like flugel, valve trombone, french horn, piccolo tpt where we use our hard earned embrouchures.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

I've played flute on and off for years ...... I find it a very easy instrument to play, but others, including one sax teacher I had (who also played flute) don't. They are much easier to keep pads and mechanisms in good shape (than saxes) and there's no reeds to buy. No fussing about trying to find a good mouthpiece, they come with one. I think it would make a very good doubling instrument for a trumpet player. I don't bother with it becuase I play enough other instruments already and it's never been a sound that really grabbed my attention.

If you're wondering HOW MUCH easier it is than trumpet, give one a blow. With all the tiny musculature you already have (some of it overlaps on flute) and the extra amount of coordination with embouchures in general, it should be a breeze. They're tiny too, so they travel well.

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Mezzo Forte User

The mouthpiece makes it hard to get those high notes, and the tone is sort of cornettoish, but you can play down to D below pedal F#

And flutes are an odd instrument that benefit from precious metals .... Solid silver sounds better than silver plated and gold is even better (or so I've heard). A gold flute will be EXPENSIVE.

Turtle
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 12-30-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grammar bad, and speling
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information