Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Arbans - Gulp in the General forums; I'm actually 'enjoying' my borrowed copy of Arbans to such a degree that I went and purchased a new one ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: Arbans - Gulp

I'm actually 'enjoying' my borrowed copy of Arbans to such a degree that I went and purchased a new one this morning - forked out AUD$48 - is that reasonable do you thnk?

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Hi Ted,

$48 seems quite reasonable, I have seen editions around $80-$100, mine is a B & H reprint of the 1907 Hawkes and son edition, I am ashamed to admit I have not spent enough time with it over the last 25 years, however if I live long enough,

Regards, Stuart.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Arban's is tough, but not sequential, so we can't work through it like a novel. If you want to really scare yourself with French music, try Marcel Bitsch.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

My memory may be failing, but it seems to me to be in February 2006 it was $48.00 U.S. plus sales tax that I paid for a new Arban's Platinum Edition. If it were absolutely necessary to affirm, I could still resurrect the register receipt and my credit card billing as the packing box that our 2006 financial records ( a box within the box) is well marked and accessable and not scheduled to be destroyed until 2016. As prior stated, such replaces my first worn out and discarded tattered copy. Thus, your purchase in the Land of OZ seems reasonable to me. I concur, that the exercises are not sequential.

Quote Originally Posted by tedh1951 View Post
    I'm actually 'enjoying' my borrowed copy of Arbans to such a degree that I went and purchased a new one this morning - forked out AUD$48 - is that reasonable do you thnk?
    I don't know the exchange rate, but I paid @ $30 6 years ago at Sam Ash. Sounds reasonable.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Bloomfield Township, Mich

[ame=] Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (Cornet) or Eb Alto, Bb Tenor, Baritone, Euphonium and Bb Bass in Treble Clef (9790060000218): Jean B. Arban, Edwin F. Goldman, Walter M. Smith: Books[/ame]
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Piano User
    Gold Coast - 805

Quote Originally Posted by John Dover View Post
    The great thing about the Arban is that there is no right or wrong way to go about it (aside from bad technique and bad playing habits). There is a section and an exercise in there to aid trumpet players in whatever their need is.

I hope you enjoy your current foray into the depths of the Arban. It is a fascinating study into the modern trumpet method.

John Dover (The Arban According to John)

I Like your Rules for your "Arban According to John".

My struggles are knowing if I am doing it correctly in the areas of your Rule #2.2 and #2.3.

Since I am self taught and learned by ear, reading music and knowing how it suppose to sound is a challenge.

Any advise?

If I can hear it, I can play it, and improvising has never been a challenge.

I do have a friend that can't play anything if it is not written down. LOL
    1948 Selmer Grand Prix 4th Place Dancourt
    Model 23 Bore .453
    Comeback start: Sept. 2009
    Comeback End : Death!!!!
    " If you can't hit it? Your not there yet!! "

Piano User
    Charlottesville, VA

and hey, it comes on kindle too! sweeet

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    If I can hear it, I can play it, and improvising has never been a challenge.

I do have a friend that can't play anything if it is not written down. LOL
    i'm the same, i can't improvise to save my life, even when i try, i find that i'm just playing something else, i.e. a song i heard on the radio, beethoven, whatever. i'm like... incapable of original thought lol

Yamaha YTR-200AD
    '72 Olds Ambassador (bone)
    Saving up for a Bach 42T
    "Never fear the future, for it does not exist and never shall."

Pianissimo User

I'm going through my late '60s edition of Arban for my "comeback" on recommendation of my teacher using Eric Bolvin's The Arban Manual. Since Arban is not sequential, the Manual guides you through the entire book in 69 well laid-out lessons (I'm on #8). I play portions of each lesson during my sessions with my teacher, along with whatever piece of music I'm working on. It seems to be working for me. It will work even better when I can carve out more practice time. At the rate I'm going, I hope I live long enough to get through it!
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

1962 Conn Director
    1966 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Getzen 3850 Custom Series Cornet
    Allora ATR-1301 Aere Series Plastic Bb Trumpet

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information