Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Arban's "t" in the General forums; Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother Everyody is right! Wonderful! Yeah, the French (or Ferman!) "T" is closer to our "D" ...
    Piano User

Re: Arban's "t"

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Everyody is right! Wonderful! Yeah, the French (or Ferman!) "T" is closer to our "D" than our "T" is (otherwise we wouldn't have a difference between D and T, and "Drumped Masder" would just be wrong!).

So, we can tongue "D" and "T" and in-between. Try them all out, "memorize" the sounds they make, and then just play. ("Halfing fun ad te same dime," as the Germans would say.)
    The difference between "t" and "d" is one of voicing, not position of articulation; in English we emphasize the difference with aspiration of the unvoiced member of the pair. (What you're hearing as 'dime' could be 'time' with an unaspirated "t".) When people talk about tonguing differently using d and t it doesn't seem to make sense, since they're produced in the same location - any difference may have something to do with vocalic onset in the voiced d, a difference somewhere in the throat (preparing to activate the vocal cords).

I'm trying out various tonguing positions with the trumpet, but my ear isn't good enough to really hear any difference in sound yet. Originally it wasn't good enough to hear the difference between the Russian dental t and the English palato-alveolar t, but my Russian teacher could hear it and would wince, so eventually I learned, in self-defense.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    tongue position is a controversial issue. It is safe to say that no one has the market cornered on fast tonguing, sound or range and that finding what is right for you can be expedited by getting a good teacher with YOUR interests at heart!
    Robin, I HAVE a good teacher. He's also of the just blow, man school. Or maybe he just has no interest in comparative linguistics. Somewhere out there, though, there is a Russian trumpeter who is wondering why his American students all sound funny on the horn. Or he won't hear any difference, and can set me straight. Until he posts, I'll shut up.

Pianissimo User

ya' know jude,
    you got me at the aveolar ridge thing..........
    if you feel it,...... play the buggah, just have fun doing it
    sounds good,get it ? sounds-gooooood,
    Benge CG 16898
    Benge CG 13868
    Benge 3 29194
    Benge Flugel 5 21095
    Getzen Valve Bone KN2003
    Yamaha Custom Piccolo 1202
    Band Now Pocket
    king Tempo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information