Trumpet Discussion Discuss Arbitrary short notes. in the General forums; So im playing this piece in a local ensemble, Third Suite by Robert Jager. There is a beautiful oboe solo, ...
    New Friend

Arbitrary short notes.

So im playing this piece in a local ensemble, Third Suite by Robert Jager. There is a beautiful oboe solo, and as it ends the group suspends for silence and the lower trumpets play two short notes an eighth note and a quarter note. Its on an octave spit, D below the staff and D on the staff. I play the D on the staff, but when ever I try it never works in the context of the piece. Its not like I can't play a D, but it just never comes out. I think the culprit is about 40 measures of rest before it, or maybe my lack of air. Some how I either go too high, too low, or whiff the first note before I hit the second. Any tips on how I can make those two notes sounds truly majestic and isolated?

Re: Arbitrary short notes.

Proper air support is vital, as well as hearing the note in your head before playing it.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Have you tried playing both using 1&3 fingering?
    ''I'm nearly as good as I need to be,
    but not nearly as good as I'd like to be".

~Wild Thing Trumpet~ Eclipse Enigma Trumpet ~
    ~Kanstul 1525 Flugel ~ Smith Watkins K2 Cornet ~
    ~ Besson Bugle ~ JP152 C Trumpet ~

if you are having trouble in the staff, you need to get a solid daily routine with long tones, lipslurs and lots of EASY tunes. Confidence and accuracy are built slowly and free of tension. Find 30-60 minutes a day for easy repeatable stuff and start building a solid foundation.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I'd be curious to know what level of player you are. I'm a relative beginner and hitting various high-ish notes out of the blue, like you describe, is a definite challenge. For me rowuks advice is appropriate and I already do the things he mentions. Therefore it's just a matter of time and getting my ear to hear the notes. I you're not a beginner though then maybe something else is up.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Woodlawn, VA

+1 HEAR THE NOTE in your head first

It has been posted here in the past that an amateur practices until they get it right.

A pro practices until they can't get it wrong.

Some of the best advice I ever saw.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

A guy named "Screamer" can't play a D in the staff?

I'm with Rowuk.... more fundamentals: Arban/Clarks. Ear Training. There is no reason for not being able to play a D in the staff under any conditions

I also practice attacks across the range... Last week I got a call to sub for a guy and the lead part had a high Ab (the REAL high one) down to a high D (dizzy chart) attack. It also had several high G's from a stone cold start. Fortunately I practice doing that. Ear training is essential.

I get the note in my ear... singing the pitch. Then I count a simulated few bars of rest, put the horn up to the face and play the kick in time. Then take the horn off my face, and repeat. Sometimes it is a short punch, sometime a pianissimo legato long note. My focus is the attacks. I practice air attacks and tongue. I will do it 8-10 times on a given note, then a rest, then again with a different note.

The idea is the same for your concert band thing. An attack is an attack. You gotta practice them all by themselves.

And get those 2nd's to throw the 3rd slide a bit more than they are doing.

Thread Information