Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss articulate quickly in the General forums; hello everybody ! i 'm here to find help to my problem ...i' m working very hard to articulate at ...
    New Friend

articulate quickly

hello everybody ! i 'm here to find help to my problem ...i' m working very hard to articulate at 120 bpm but my tongue don t want to go after 90 ...For the moment after 90 i' m using the double-articulation but my dream is to do it with the simple articulation ...i m placing the tongue like Jerome callet .. i ve got no problem with high notes ..my sound is correct .. but impossible to have a quick simple articulation...thanks for help ,, vince

Re: articulate quickly

It is most likely your breathing and lack of dedicated practice.

We start at a slow manageable tempo (with a metronome) and then perfect that. I mean perfectly regular, very articulate but with the tongue floating on the air. Then we jump up 10 BPM and perfect that. I do not recommend creeping up on articulation a tiny bit every day. The tongue does not deem to work that way. Most players just practice then where everything is irregular and never get the idea.

Articulation is not "NATURAL". We are asking our tongues to do things that they were not born with. We achieve success by building habits. That means hundreds to thousands of controlled repetitions.

I only advocate positive articulation. That means Tooh Tooh Tooooooooooooh. Only when that solid, clean articulation is perfected, we add D, G, R, L to the library of consonants. Starting with a "sloppier" consonant, we only succeed in making life tougher later.
    Last edited by rowuk; 09-24-2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

thanks a lot ! vince
    i ll try this :)

New Friend

hello everybody..today i reach 104 ! working stamp scales : one time slurring , one time tonguing and try to think : the tongue float on the air..
    the sensation i have is : the middle of my tongue touch my palate ..at 2 centimeter behind the upeer teeth ...
    sorry for my bad english :)
    thanks for telling me suggestions

New Friend

hello everybody..today i reach 104 ! working stamp scales : one time slurring , one time tonguing and try to think : the tongue float on the air..
    the sensation i have is : the middle of my tongue touch my palate ..at 2 centimeter behind the upeer teeth ...
    sorry for my bad english :)
    thanks for telling me suggestions

The trick to faster articulation is to practice it - every day, 10 minutes a day (or more) and work on nothing but tonguing. Start slow, build it up - don't do anyting fancy - just tongue basic notes in the staff and maybe some lower scales - break it back down, build it back up, etc.

If you put in some dedicated time, I guarantee it will improve.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend

thanks ..do u think one time slurring one tonguing is correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentpayne View Post
    thanks ..do u think one time slurring one tonguing is correct ?
    I was taught from a Claude Gordon student to approach a lot of studies using different models:single tongue, double tongue, K tongue, triple tongue, slur 2, slur 4, slur all, tongue 1 slur 2 tongue one, etc.....
    Whatever range of articulations you can devise.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

New Friend

thanks...this part of the trumpet is the most difficult for me...
    i m working on it for a long time...

New Friend

i found this exercise ...
    please did anyone tried it ???
    your tongue is a muscle that simply gets tired. Most of us can single tongue a few notes very fast, but then we slow down, so it's simply a matter of building endurance. I thought I was the recipient of bad genes and my single tongue was simply meant to be slow my entire life, until I tried this easy fix:

take 5 minutes a day on a middle G. Single tongue at YOUR fastest speed for 30 counts. This may even be MM = 84 (like it was for me). Remember - for 30 counts. Repeat this once or twice that day, and then continue this process over the next days and weeks.
    You should notice improvement almost within a week. Keep going, gradually increasing the speed ONLY when you can keep it going for 30 counts.
    I did this and got past 120, which was a fine benchmark, knowing that above that, I always had double-tongue to cover faster stuff.

Good luck!
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information