Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bach37
Trumpet Discussion Discuss articulation help in the General forums; I know that this has topic has been covered here before but i need to post anyway, sorry. I am ...
    New Friend

articulation help

I know that this has topic has been covered here before but i need to post anyway, sorry.

I am trying to develop my single tonguing speed. I bought and have been using chris gekker's articulation studies book, but have not noticed any real improvement. I have read the instructions and started the one minute drill at quarter = 75. I am progressing at one metronomic beat increase per week so I am now at 76. I am happy to proceed at this slow pace IF eventually I would get to 120; I JUST DON'T EVER SEE THIS HAPPENING. Even more discouraging is the single tongue explanation at the beginning of the Clarke Characteristic Studies book. There, Clarke recommends starting at 120 and working up to 144. START AT 120....seriously? I have read much about Clarke and how he practiced but i think he started with abilities that i will never achieve.

Perhaps I need to adopt a Rafael Mendez approach? Apparently he had a very slow single tongue and learned to double/triple tongue at a very early age.

Not sure what to do at this point. I am doing lots of "K" tonguing to try and help that along as well.

I do know that all types of articulation needs to ride on a steady stream of constantly moving air and that the tongue needs to be relaxed.

I would love to hear from anyone that could help me. Thanks.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: articulation help

Welcome to TM, Sturgill! Sounds like you have tried stuff the right way, but maybe you need to slip into the double tongue earlier. No shame in that as long as it is clean and relaxed.

Good luck!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

Re: articulation help

One idea is to forget about mechanics. If you think about how to tongue, your head is not in the sound. And if your not into the sound, well it's not going to give you the result you want. Trumpet playing is 90% mental. IMO more than that. Imagine the sound you want and let it come through the horn. Same goes with tonguing hear it in your head and let it flow through the horn. A book that really helped me was a articulation book by E.F. Goldman Practicle studies for the trumpet. Drill one is great is had a lot of the "repeated notes" that really help with tonguing. And a great work out for the "chops". One of the keys to it is to keep the tongue relaxed at all times. I imagine it as "melted". And be patient and it will come.

Now I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. I wish there was a magic bullet for playing the trumpet but there isn't. Takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of face time. And a lot of listening to the "great players". Pick a favorite and imagine the sound.

Best wishes,
    Vulgano Brother likes this.

Thread Information