Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Arturo in the General forums; He is a great trumpet player, but great fails to describe how good he is on flugelhorn! I don't even ...
    He is a great trumpet player, but great fails to describe how good he is on flugelhorn! I don't even know if magnificent, wonderful, eminent, astonishing, or amazing are good enough superlatives to describe him on flugelhorn.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

New Friend
    Arturo is amazing! I saw him in concert a while back and got to meet him. He really cares about fellow trumpet players, and god can he play! Listen to his playing on A Mis Abuelos on his album Danzon. It's insane.
    Conn Vintage One 1BS-46

King Super 20

New Friend
    He will be performing at the Denton, TX Jazz Fest next month. It will be a chance for you to hear him live if you are in the north Texas area on April 29th. The Fest has a web site with more information about this event. www.dentonjazzfest.com

Pianissimo User
    I think Arturo's best work is on "I remember Clifford"

His solos and sound on that album give me chills, and he always plays in good taste.

I was lucky enough to play with Arturo about 11 years ago....he told me that I really liked my lead playing :)

Fortissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by the chief
    I really liked my lead playing :)
    This is probably a good thing.

Pianissimo User
    Haha, I think Arturo liked it to, but he was probobly just being nice.

New Friend
    Mr. Sandoval is also a very funny and interesting man. I've had the honor of sitting with him & Doc in a hotel lobby lounge while they reminisced about the "old" days. It was like listening to a documentary.

He is also a terrific pianist! It's a great passion of his. Anytime he needs to feel peace in his soul, he heads for the piano.

I received an email from him a few months ago & it was signed Arturo Sandoval. Now...I get all sorts of wacky emails and sometimes, I just don't know whether to buy them or not. Doc is not at all internet savvy so I couldn't imagine Mr. Sandoval being so either. I sent an email back saying, "oh - remember the night you & Doc stayed up until 3am smoking cigars?" He wrote back, "Of course I remembered. And then you, you sent me cheese!" Indeed, I had sent Mr. Sandoval 4 bricks of aged cheddar & swiss & summer sausage (he'd been on a low-carb kick) from Doc.

Anyway...it's great when you can meet someone whose playing you've admired & find out they are nice people too.
    Bernadette Hilario
    Doc Severinsen Orchestras
    www.docseverinsen.com

Hmmmm... I've heard Arturo live twice. The first time was in Phoenix, and he was doing the Afro-Cuban thing. It was great. Loved it.

The second time I heard him, he was playing in Anaheim, CA, for the IAJE Conference about 6(?) years ago. He was playing with the Disney band, and... I had to walk out. It was terrible. The theme of the night must have been "Louder, Faster, Higher, Abrassive." It sounded like one big circus act. He didn't play one tasty note. It was like he wasn't listening to the band at all. Most of the stuff they were doing was swing/bebop stuff.

I've heard recordings of Arturo doing both Afro-Cuban and "straight-ahead" jazz. I REALLY dig the Afro-Cuban thing. A lot. I just think some of his other playing lacks some sensitivity and origionality.

Waiting for the flames.

--Kevin

New Friend
    BinSB I agree with you he is a monster piano player, on top of that he plays latin percussion, background vocals etc.
    He is a very skill musician.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information