Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Asymmetric Mouthpiece Trial: Lead and Lead M in the General forums; If you have a couple of hours to spare, go to FPO IP Research & Communities and enter trumpet mouthpiece ...
    Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Re: Asymmetric Mouthpiece Trial: Lead and Lead M

If you have a couple of hours to spare, go to FPO IP Research & Communities and enter trumpet mouthpiece in the search box, you will be rewarded with 505 entries with some of the wackiest ideas imaginable.

Regards, Stuart.

Gainesville, FL

Alright all, Here's my final decision.

I'm keeping the Asymmetric Lead 432, sending back the 432M because the way it plays is just not to my taste for a lead mouthpiece.

And here's the scoop:

I got the cut to happen, and yeah, there's a LOT of cut in that mouthpiece (Lead 432). The mouthpiece seems to sizzle automatically at high C and above for me, but you can get it to sizzle lower with just some more volume. What I like best about this mouthpiece is the consistency of the sound. It's a less harsh sound, and is very clear. The lower notes are gorgeous, and not blatty as I found them to be with my use of the 13a4a --- this mouthpiece easily lends itself to lyrical passages with it's amazing, large sound. I found that it is versatile, and could pass in several genres, as the player tweaks his approach.

This mouthpiece loves air, just like my Edwards horn. You've got to blow, and you have to be consistent, but the response to the air is extremely rewarding and adds to the endurance gain. I found my range hasn't really increased on it; however, my endurance, especially in the upper register is much better. Contracting the corners during ascent into the upper range reaps great rewards, as well.

I have not found flexibility to be hindered in any way, for me. Since the rim is a bit sharper than my 13a4a, I experienced greater accuracy in my pitches and articulation. It's best not to use too much pressure on this mouthpiece, but I never had any issues with the rim being too sharp for my taste (as compared to the Monette I didn't care for, in another thread -- for comparison purposes). It's also nice that the cup portion has a greater depth, because now I don't have to worry about bottoming out, and my swelling is decreased. I also believe that since playing on the Asymmetric, it's improved my approach to the upper range.

A con about this mouthpiece is that if you're having a bad day, the mouthpiece won't lend its true sound or response until your chops are truly warmed up (at least, this is what I experienced). Also, I felt that the core of sound could be a little more, though this was not a great concern. Overall, after the adjustment period I hardly thought about doing anything different when switching between my Asymmetric 432 and my Bach 3C.
    kingtrumpet likes this.
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

New York State USA

poor young Mark --- staying up so very late, cramming in the college studies trying to help you blokes with an assessment on the Asymmetric mpc --- and all you blokes should send Mark a PM --- telling him how much you appreciate his concern for you all --- sacrificing time, and mental acuity such that he has developed some sort of dyslexia in his pursuits of HELPING ALL OF YOU!!!
    yes -- he meant Lead 342 ---- and not 432 ---

GM, TrumpetMd, Patkins -- can anyone help young Mark??? --- Perhaps Mark, you should take 2 beers, a good nights rest, and after your lips are warmed up in the morning -- cork out a loud High G, slur it to the DHC ---- and I reckon you will be cured, well as long as you use your Asymmetric to do that!! (I'm not a doctor, but I think you can be cured)
    Mark_Kindy likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Mark, It is only the outside of the rim that I found sharp (a right angle). Otherwise, I found the Lead 342 performs as advertised, well almost ... if you don't "own" a DHC on other mpcs, an asymmetric is not a miracle that will give it to you. What it will do is make it easier if you do "own" the DHC. Still otherwise, "one can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink" an analogy to having a lipset embouchure prior of 1/3 upper lip, 2/3 lower lip, will make the Asymmetric mpc a "shoe that fits well".
    Cornyandy and Mark_Kindy like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information