Trumpet Discussion Discuss Attachment to teacher in the General forums; I started in the third grade. My parents immediately signed me up for lessons with the music teacher's recommended trumpet ...
    New Friend

Attachment to teacher

I started in the third grade. My parents immediately signed me up for lessons with the music teacher's recommended trumpet teacher. He definitely helped me a lot in the beginning excel over the other students and get the very basics down. 7 years later, now, and I'm still with him. He's a good player and a good teacher, but I feel like he isn't properly helping me with a few of my fundamental playing issues. I talk to him a lot about addressing my stagnant range development, and I really don't think he knows what he's talking about. He's great for 10 year olds but I once I got to high school I needed someone who could really assist me in advancing my playing...honestly right now I think it's mostly my practicing that's helping - he's making a very little impact on my playing. The problem is just that we have a great relationship and telling him I'm going to study with someone else is unthinkable to me.

There's a teacher in my city who's known as the trumpet guy. I had one lesson with him and he seemed very good and masterful. His students are very good.

Have any of you had to go through quitting a teacher you've been with for so long and gotten attached to?

Vienna, Austria, Europe

Re: Attachment to teacher

I think everyone goes through that phase at some point or other... I would suggest that, as you've such a great relationship, you honestly talk to the guy about it, and ask him whether he would think it advisable to get additional tuition... keeping him on, but supplemeting your tuition by some lessons from someone else.

In my opinion, a good teacher will send a student off after about 5 years. Any relationship after that is not student/teacher, rather mentor.

On the other hand, a babysitter can be had for life......... I guess it depends on the nature of YOUR lessons.

I would have no qualms about talking to the teacher and moving on. Part of getting lessons with "better" teachers is also playing opportunities. I would never send one of my students to someone not actively playing in fine ensembles!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

It's all in how you word it. Don't tell him you're moving to a better teacher, tell him you are moving to a different teacher. Tell him you are looking for a fresh perspective. Any good, reasonable teacher will be fine with that. Most good teachers would actually encourage that.
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.

Thread Information