Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Audition Piece in the General forums; You guys helped me out last year so let's see if you can pull it off again. My son has ...
    New Friend

Audition Piece

You guys helped me out last year so let's see if you can pull it off again.

My son has the following piece for his audition for Honor's Band in high school. I was hoping that someone could identify it so we can see if we can find it online to see how it should sound.

Thanks in advance.

Sam_4109.jpg

Re: Audition Piece

Arban Characteristic study 8

Just

Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

If you learn to read music and develop ear training then you can tell how it sounds... by reading the notes on the page.
    dangeorges likes this.

Listen to Clyde Hunt's recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl94CFiWPD8
    This guy breaks it down very well in a clinic style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMU0AQbEPms

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    If you learn to read music and develop ear training then you can tell how it sounds... by reading the notes on the page.
    It's still waaaaayyyyy easier to hear someone play it
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

I see a lot of young students that bring in music they get in band and want me to play it so they hear how it goes. I hate that. The composer already wrote down how it goes.

To me it is like the biblical parable: "Give a man a fish, or teach him how to fish". These days it's even worse... They don't even want you to give them a fish anymore. They also want it gutted, scaled, de-boned, filleted, fried and presented to them on a bun with chips and lots of ketchup. They don't care how to catch one themselves. Much less what to do with it when they have one.

I don't know this original poster, so i don't mean that is what they are doing...

I like to sit with a kid and break it down and show them that they can play ANY piece of music if they have a solid foundation in trumpet fundamentals, and can read rhythms and notes. You can play anything at SOME tempo, then work it up! You don't need to have someone play it for them so they can hear how it goes. It's all there on the page.

Of course it is great to hear stylistic interpretations from great players... but not for the purpose of learning the licks.

Why make things harder than they have to be? I use recordings ALL THE TIME to help me prep music. Youtube is a wonderful source for that. I see it as being a great supplement to the fundamentals of reading, and having some context for how a piece goes can help tremendously when prepping music - it's much better than trying to pre music in a vacuum where you don't have context or the other parts to work with so that you can hear how your part fits in. It also helps when it comes to phrasing and inflection.

Granted, this is a characteristic study, but I still don't see anything wrong with it, and as a matter of fact, when someone is trying to learn how to play jazz, or how to improvise, the first response to any inquiry on how to get better is usually something along the lines of, "you need to listed to good recordings."

Seems like a bit of a contradiction.
    vern and Dennis78 like this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Pianissimo User

I too use YouTube and CDs to figure out how music goes. I am not very good on counting, so I rely on someone else to do it for me. Now I am starting to learn that this is not the way to go! If I had a job as a Trumpet player, and I got a message saying that a fellow trumpeter got sick and I need to take his place; I would mess up at the concert and never get rehired, all because I can't sight read! Do you now see why sight reading is much more important? Recordings should only be used to polish up the song if you have the time.

Tell your son to try and play the piece as well as he can. Then once he feels good, tell him to listen to recordings, so that he gets an idea of how to make it sound even better.
    Vulgano Brother and Dennis78 like this.

Music is a language, much like English is a language. No one really reads English text by sounding out each word phonetically.* We read by seeing words as a whole, and sometimes even phrases. Music is its own language, and as I see it, while it's important to understand the fundamentals of counting in order to learn music, learning musical lines by listening to music and reading along with it is no different than a kid who is supplementing learning to read by following along while a parent is reading, or utilizing the read-along books with recordings that many of us had as kids. (I had a "Peter and the Wolf" book and accompanying 45 record that I completely wore out.)

I do a lot of practicing with recordings anyway. In the wedding band I'm in, 95% of everything we play is arranged so that it matches the recording you'd hear on the radio, and I practice by playing along with those recordings all the time. An interesting thing that comes out of practicing that way is that even though I'm mostly playing stuff I already know - mainly going through things to keep them brushed up - it has a positive effect on my ability to read and sight read, mainly because I'm spending a lot of time reading the language of music - those rhythmic patterns and blocks become familiar, and I'm not counting as much as I'm recognizing blocks and patterns, and how they go together to form musical phrases and sentences.

* For those who might want to argue reading whole language and blocks vs phonetically sounding things out, I'll give you the following two examples:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too

and

Can you find the the mistake?

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U , V, W, X, Y, Z.
    Dennis78 likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information