Trumpet Discussion Discuss Audition Tips in the General forums; Hi, I haven't posted here for some time. Just a reminder about myself, I am a thirteen year old, been ...
    New Friend

Audition Tips

Hi, I haven't posted here for some time. Just a reminder about myself, I am a thirteen year old, been playing trumpet for three to four years now. I am going to audition for a selective orchestra in some time. I have a few questions about what to do, I really haven't done many auditions before. I am playing two movements from Hummel Trumpet Concerto, the fast first and slow second. In addition, I am required to play major and minor scales. I have prepared some: 1 octave: C, D, Eb, F, Bb, cm, dm, em, fm, bm, 2 octave: G, F#, gm, f#m, g-g chromatic. First, for the minor scales, which form should I play? So far, I have been practicing the natural and melodic minor. Then, any general tips or advice on the Hummel? Lastly, what suggestions are there regarding the overall audition? When, how long, should I warm up? If allowed to choose scales, which one should I play? The easiest, hardest, highest, etc.? Thanks for the help.

Re: Audition Tips

The biggest thing you need for audtions is confidence. It is one thing that is noticed almost immediately, it reflects how you walk in to the audition room, they way you sit/stand, open your music folder etc any sign of uncertiany on your part and you are behind the 8 ball before you even start to play.

Almost everyone on here will tell you musicality will always prevail over techincal.

Others can probably chime in the scale, music selction etc.
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

Thats the truth! Confidence Confidence Confidnce! Don't even think about it. Just go in there, do what you came there for, and then walk out. If you think about it too much, then you will mess up. ANDN DON'T GET NERVISE!!! You can hear the nerviseness in your tone. They can hear it just as well as you feel it coming out. Just be confident! Good Luck!
    Vulgano Brother: "I consider the normal wearing away of silver as badges of honor..."
    Unknown student trumpet "china horn"
    Bundy - student trumpet
    (1940's) Stratford Besson -England - student
    (1949) Holton Collegiate - student
    (1970's) King Tempo - student
    (1982) Besson 609 -USA - student

Atlanta, GA

Best advice I've ever been given: GO FOR IT!!!

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Hi karajan,
    Nerves are just a natural part of the "contest". Put your game face on, you're a trumpet player!!
    Think like a confident race horse, not a scared rabbit about to be eaten by a fox. Both are levels of excited but profoundly different. Remember, you are pursuing the audition, the audition is not pursuing you.

1)Know your scales and anything that is required.
    2)Exaggerate the accents a little more than usual on your selection. make soft a little softer and loud a little louder
    3)On site reading, take about 30 seconds and look in this order:
    Time sig. key sig. speed of the piece, Then mark lightly with a pencil (yes take a pencil to the audition with you) any anomilies(key changes, weird tempos, repeats).
    Dress up (it will make a difference. It shows respect for what you are doing and the people you are playing for)
    4)If possible, go practice your audition in the room that it will take place.
    5)Record yourself and see if you are going too fast. (a common mistake is to get excited and speed up)
    6)Warm up shortly before the audition but don't over do it. Blow a couple of scales and a small song and then put the horn down and have a pop(or beverage of your choice, preferably water).
    7)Make sure you phrase correctly, breathing in the wrong place sucks!!
    8)Afterwards, thank the adjudicators for their time and their expertise. "thank you" while a small phrase have quite an impact on how the adjudicators see you.
    9) Don't let the competition bother you. The one thing you can be absolutely sure of. You are the best trumpet player in the world that's standing in the very spot that you are standing.

People will come up to me and praise me about my playing I tell them jokingly "I'm the best trumpet player setting in this chair".
    Good Luck

New Friend

playing an audition is like jumping into a cold swimming can inch your way in and not make a big deal out of yourself or you can make a's up to you to make your mark.

Thread Information