Trumpet Discussion Discuss Bach strad cornet valves in the General forums; Just to let people know cleaning the cornet repeatedly has solved the sticking valve issue. However the cornet does not ...
    Pianissimo User
    Rochdale UK

Bach strad cornet valves

Just to let people know cleaning the cornet repeatedly has solved the sticking valve issue. However the cornet does not like oil! The sticking returns if I oil the valves I have tried ultra pure, Bach, Dennis wick, blue juice anybody know which are the thinner type oils?

Re: Bach strad cornet valves

Hetman's #1. If they still stick after that, it is more than likely a mechanical issue or you have some really thick saliva!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Heart of Dixie

If you're looking for thin oil, Blue Juice is pretty dang thin. I switched to Alysin synthetic oil on my horns and haven't had a valve issue since. The only drawbacks are: if I leave a horn in the car in cold weather, the valves are sluggish until they warm up, and the action is not quite as fast as with something like Blue Juice. The good points: no sticking and it doesn't evaporate - I can go for a month (or more) between oilings with no problems.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Piano User
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA

I have had good results with Hetman #1 on a Yamaha Xeno that had sticking issues with several other oils.

Ithaca NY

Have you cleaned the valves between different oils. If not that can cause a problem as they often mix with bad results.

I suggest you try Berp Bio Oil. Or Binak.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Trumpet valves belong to the dumb design department. There is no "forced" lubrication - only a prayer that what we squirt on to it does the job.

Oil floats on water. If the valve and casing are not bone dry before oiling, you are only lubricating the moisture or sludge around the valves.

Petroleum based oils last max 24 hours. Then the lubricant has evaporated leaving only moisture and sludge to "protect" the valve. Synthetic oils do not evaporate as fast, BUT when we only properly oil once a week, the sludge build up can cause sticking. This depends on your saliva, if you brush your teeth before playing and how well you brushed. Another factor is accumulated grunge in the horn that in time, wanders to places (like the valves) where it has the maximum disadvantage.

Mechanical problems need a tech, generally good oiling habits solve most issues. Very worn valves do not provide enough common surface area for the oil film to remain intact. That very often causes them to stick even if oiled a lot. Thicker oil or a valve job a useful here!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information