Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Back from Pacific Northwest in the General forums; What a gorgeous part of the world! It was one of the nicest "vacations" I've had in a while. Why ...
    Utimate User

Back from Pacific Northwest

What a gorgeous part of the world!

It was one of the nicest "vacations" I've had in a while. Why the quote marks? Well, I had to bring my horn and I did so much traveling, eating, hiking, whale/seal/bald eagle watching that I'm probably more tired than when I left!

I stayed with one of my best friends in the world, Jeff Cole, and his family. It was a tremendous hang that took us to what seemed like the top of the world when we all went to Hurricane Ridge. There we saw a view of the Olympic mountain range that was spectacular. I've never been that high up in my life without an airplane, up above the clouds like that. The air was pristine and the pines had a scent that was the most easy to smell I've ever experienced.

We took a side trip to Portland and visited with Dave Monette. I played one of his newest models of instruments, a new version of the Prana 1 with the new drilling pattern. Don't ask me how it's possible to improve that which is so good but he does it. He whisked us away to the Columbia River and took a brief hike to another top of the world view that displayed the river from about 1,000 feet up. You can imagine the dinner that followed was Indian food in a town named Gresham. Slow service, great food.

Seattle has so changed from when I lived there... had it been the town it is now I may not have left! Pike Place Market, the views, guys throwing fish, Carkeek park, Lake Union, Ivar's fish, Anthony's boat house, AN UNBELIEVABLE VIEW OF MT. RAINIER!!!,Victoria, B.C. ....

What can I say? This is an amazing country in its endless variety of climes and topography but if you haven't visited the Pacific Northwest and you happen to be the outdoor type, I can't suggest a vacation there more strongly. You won't run out of things to see and do.

I never did get to the opera, though, except for when I was driving back to Port Angeles from Hurricane Ridge, I heard live over the air! I tuned in right at "The Presentation of the Rose"... very nice playing/singing from all involved. I did, get to a Mariner's game which they won 5-4. Great Stadium... I want one! Anything to replace that garbage dump they call a ball field here.

Well, that's the tip of the iceberg... great trip, great memories.

Now, to see what's been going on around here...hmm....

Monroe Ct.
    I'm glad your back and had a nice trip.

Some day I'm going to show up at the shop when I know your there.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Welcome back, Manny. Glad to see you again!
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    And I thought you was going to be in Europe while you actually went in the other direction! You guys gonna have fun dragging all your gear with the new restrictions! Anyway, welcome back. Now to figure out how this new site layout works. :) (any word on when we might get a chat feature back?)

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA

Talking Welcome Back

I am glad you had a successful and enjoyable trip. So, do tell about Dave's improvements. What has improved on that already dreamy playing Prana 1?

welcome back Manny!

I can't wait until November when I go out to Portland! I am very excited to visit with the Monette guys and play all their stuff!

I haven't been to Seattle in 5 or 6 years, but I loved it when I got out there. The market is fantastic and downtown, with all the great seafood is, well, to quote Homer Simpson, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhggggggggg, seafood.........(drool, drool, drool)".

I love the view of Mt. Ranier from the U of W campus. I think it's Ranier. Anyway, it is quite beautiful to say the least.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Carmen, but I have about 10 concerts marked off for the upcoming season. Lots of Sibelius! I love Sibelius! And I can't wait to hear the Copland Clarinet concerto. One of the few clarinet pieces I really enjoy. Sorry to say that, but alas, it is true. Burt is coming up to play it with my group later in the year, so I will get a double dose!

Can't wait to hear you again, later,

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    Glad you enjoyed Seattle, it is a fun town to live in. Hop you maee it up to Capitol Hill, which has more arts organizations and coffee roasters than any other patch of dirt on the planet.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    Welcome back! I agree about the Pacific Northwest, California wishes it were as beautiful as Oregon. I just got back from Minneapolis, an interesting weekend, my 35th high school reunion and vists to old schools. Best part was going to my grammar school and getting to see and xerox my file. (Leave it to the Catholics to keep meticulous records!) Funny thing, I remembered my junior high school better than senior high, and my grammar school better than either. Had popcorn at the Lake Harriet bandshell concession stand (still the best in the world), checked out the Rose Garden there where we got married twenty years ago. What happened to the Twins? A week ago they couldn't lose, now they're looking up at the White Sox who look like they could catch a suddenly vulnerable-looking Detroit.
    Summer is great. Next Saturday I'm off to Mexico for three weeks, Veracruz and Xalapa.

Michael McLaughlin

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
    Albert Einstein
    Morelia MM

Mezzo Forte User
    Glad you had a nice vacation here!
    But you know it rains all the time, and people here don't tan--they rust!
    You got lucky and caught some sunny days, and next time try the Columbia River Gorge, and the Hood River area. Just beautiful there, the mountains, rivers, forests.
    Check it out next time.....
    Listen to your inner voice before it says ,"I told you so".

Newcastle, WA USA
    I'm glad you had a great vacation here too. The enthusiasm in your message reminds me that we who live here have a lot to be grateful for. Thank you for that, and welcome back!
    Matt Dalton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information