Trumpet Discussion Discuss Back to School in the General forums; Hi Manny, I'm going back to school after 10 years off. I'm majoring in trumpet Performance and Education. My wife ...

Back to School

Hi Manny, I'm going back to school after 10 years off. I'm majoring in trumpet Performance and Education. My wife is going to school for accounting, so for the first 2 years so I'm working full time and going to school part time. Fortunately I have enough old credits so after the 2 years I'll still be right on schedule. After my wife gets her degree and a job, I get to quit and go to school full time and get my degrees.

Right now I'm playing in the Chamber Orchestra where we decided to split the first parts this year. This term I'm playing first on L' Italian in Algiers overture and second on Beethovens Fourth. Next term I will play on an overture to be named and First on Dvoraks New World Symphony. Spring term I will play first on "Knoxville Summer of 1915" and second on Mozart's Jupiter symphony.

I'm actually excited about playing second on some parts. I've always played first in orchestras so it's a nice learning experience to play this. The other trumpet player mostly played second but has improved greatly so this is nice for him too ( I played first as a community member last year). I'm also playing second in the college Jazz ensemble.

This term for my juries I will be performing the Godecke Concert Etude and the 2nd movement of the Haydn from memory. Do you have any general advice for this 32 year old school boy? We're also raising 2 adorable little girls on top of this.

Utimate User

Find the easiest way to do everything you have to do and when you figure each one out, don't resist.

Don't do anything half way. Practice slowly enough so that you are successful at something at each practice session. Never be afraid to slow things down.

Let your family be part of your future successes.

Thread Information