Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Bad idea to change embouchure? in the General forums; Originally Posted by jengstrom I wish I had known this before I spent years trying to do things that weren't ...
    Dayton, Ohio

Re: Bad idea to change embouchure?

Quote Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
    I wish I had known this before I spent years trying to do things that weren't going to work on my face.

It's great to find and listen to a great teacher, but don't assume they are great because they teach at the local university or because they have a doctorate, or whatever. I was misled by the first college level teacher...
    John, so well stated, and so true. I hope others reading this can learn in being more cautious from your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
    ... Everybody's face is different and a really good teacher will adapt some things to help you figure out what works for you. Find THAT teacher, because while it may only take 6 weeks to learn some new good habits, it only takes the same 6 weeks to learn bad ones. And bad habits take way longer than 6 weeks to correct.

This faily much states what Richtom posted. I absolultely agree with Richtom, and your post puts a real person's experience as an example of what he says. Additionally, as a physician that teaches muscle physiology at a medical school, and Richtom's comment, "Put your mouthpiece where it feels best and stop fooling around with things you do not really comprehend yet," I can truly confirm that Richtom's advice is very consistent with all the knowledge I have with muscle physiology and what it takes to use muscle wisely and when need to adapt to change when things become uncomfortable.

Remember pain and lack of control are actually our friends. Our neuro system and ability to rationalize results of our situation through cognitive integration provides us with the feedback we need to improve. If we do not listen or feel this feedback, we will not improve, and in fact may harm ourselves. These sensations and sensory feedback loops are telling us that we are using what the Great Designer has given us in either the right or the wrong way, and we should seek change to what "feels comfortable" for you specifically. For a teacher to tell you it's my way or the highway, proceed immediately for the exit ramp and drive away from this teacher.
    richtom and tobylou8 like this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Re: Bad idea to change embouchure?

Players that practice in a sensible manner (don't try to play DHC's for 30 minutes) rarely have practice inflicted issues. Players that are always changing things up trying to cheat nature, end up with issues. Does it REALLY matter whether you blow upstream or downstream??!! If you would just practice sensibly, you will progress at a sensible rate. The only way you could tell if you are up or down is with a clear mpc. IF I was the person challenging you for a position, my advice would be, YES! Most definitely change your embouchure! BTW, here's a mpc that will give you better tone, fuller sound and extended range.

Now go practice!
    richtom and Mark_Kindy like this.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information