Trumpet Discussion Discuss Bala Brass Quintet in the General forums; - I have been having a really great time working with Bala Brass Quintet and thought you might enjoy hearing ...
    New Friend

Bala Brass Quintet

I have been having a really great time working with Bala Brass Quintet and thought you might enjoy hearing them (and the composition, too!)

Recording of movement VI. Mulberry Tree from "Right Then. Same Time Tomorrow?"

(It's the first recording on the page - but feel free to download the others too!)

Here is a link to their site

Bala Brass Quintet

If you are interested in the story behind the composition, here are the notes from the score and an expanation of the story:

six vignettes for brass

I. Fat Tire
    Fat Tire views the entire situation as ludicrous. Mocking and flippant throughout his rant, the climax of his tale mercilessly taunts the main character. Unwilling, or unable, to slow his attack, he is still driving his point home long after his audience has ceased to be amused or even pay attention to him.

II. Black Tusk
    Black Tusk always pictures himself on the outside looking in. Therefore his retelling of the events is analytical and complex. When faced with an inescapable experience that draws him in, he finds himself filled with emotions he hasn’t felt in longer than he can remember. At least, that is what he tells himself…

III. Mad Badger
    Mad Badger describes the experience with great energy, frequently missing the point in favor of what he considers funny anecdotes. When he perceives the listener is not keeping up, he resorts to stating the story in very plain terms in a condescending fashion. Finally he becomes fed up with the listener and storms off to regale someone else “who is smart enough to understand his point of view!”

IV. Flying Dog
    Flying Dog is the most animated, yet accurate, teller of the story. Randomly speaking from each person’s point of view, he weaves a dance-like tale, as are all romantic interludes, filled with suspense, passion and intrigue. His telling of the connection is simple, beautiful and with an understanding that their friendship has forever changed.

V. U.F.O.
    Sullen and withdrawn, U.F.O. surprises everyone with a grand statement of conviction before lapsing back into his thoughts.

VI. Mulberry Tree
    Seizing the opportunity to speak, as U.F.O. has stunned the group to silence, Mulberry Tree begins his rendition of the events by correcting everyone. “This is exactly what happened.” He meticulously explains how they arrived at their present situation, taking great care to show how everyone else’s accounts were flawed. Of course, he is completely incorrect himself and will, by his own choosing, remain alone with his own superiority.

Here is the answer a question that keeps popping up in my email box. Where did I get the names of the movements and the title? They are named after the beer each character is drinking in the story. Yes, they are all real beers. The members of the quintet each submitted the name of a beer for the first five movements and then I named the last.

Why beer? Because the characters are a bunch of regulars having a drink at their favorite haunt. Each person is relating the same story from their own perspective - a tale about a seventh person who is not around because he has found someone else to occupy his free time (wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?).

However, whether they are arguing, agreeing, happy or upset, one thing always remains constant. When the night is over, they'll still look at each other and say "Right then. Same time tomorrow?" Sitting on the same bar stools, arguing, agreeing, happy and upset tomorrow.

New Friend
    Oops, I forgot to mention that you can download the entire Trumpet 1 part here (if you would like to read along):

Click on "Right Then. Same Time Tomorrow?"

Thread Information