Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss band director told my child to change instruments :( in the General forums; If your son really wants to play trumpet ,he should practice longer and prove his band director wrong. Talk to ...
    Levittown , NY

Re: band director told my child to change instruments :(

If your son really wants to play trumpet ,he should practice longer and prove his band director wrong. Talk to your son's private teacher about what is happening, and what can be done about it.

Pianissimo User
    Perth, Western Australia

I can't see why it should be so very important to be in the grade 10 top band.
    There is much more to high school than top band.
    There is much more to life than high school.
    If your son has a passion for the instrument, the this is what he should play at whatever level he is.
    I'm 53 and didn't play at all until I was 30. Played my first symphony orchestra gig today (2nd trumpet).

Mezzo Piano User

When I got my braces put on, my playing was hindered for about a week, and then with slow work (about an hour like abtrumpet said) I got my tone back first, then endurance, and then finally slowly worked my range back up to a high C which took a whole school year because I didn't want to push., braces didn't hinder me at all, and now with the help of my teacher im increasing range, and advancing more in my playing. The band director, as a trumpet teacher, might know best when he says to switch to euphonium, your son may want to play trumpet, but he might like the euphonium and he can keep practicing trumpet at home and with his teacher, and then the next year play trumpet in the top band. Just my thoughts.............
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Mezzo Piano User

Have you spoken to the Band Director yet face to face? To many times on this forum the Band Directors are targets instead of allies. I have many students with braces and some do fine and others not. I also run into the issue with kids who get braces removed and they get worse.

Case in point, at this time I have a student who has the worst tone I have heard in a long time, he has braces but plays with his jaw shut and a folded out bottom lip. At this point he is playing with carrot slices between his back teeth to stop the jaw from closing. Would he do better on another instrument, maybe. Does he have to be in the top Wind Band, No.

Us Band Directors have many issues to face on a daily basis. Talk to this person and see why they are bringing up the switch.

Also, I have found that some students with braces really like the Wedge mouthpiece design, it takes some pressure of the teeth. You might want to investigate. Best of luck. TD

Monroe Ct.

You guys are so gullible.

This is the first post. Mom only has one post.
    Look at the wording. It's typical TM posting stile. Maybe she's been reading for years.

Look at the name: "trumpetmom94"
    Is that the kind of name a Mom would come up with? What does 94 mean? Her age, The year she graduated from HS?

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by B15M View Post
    You guys are so gullible.

This is the first post. Mom only has one post.
    Look at the wording. It's typical TM posting stile. Maybe she's been reading for years.

Look at the name: "trumpetmom94"
    Is that the kind of name a Mom would come up with? What does 94 mean? Her age, The year she graduated from HS?
    Who knows, perhaps the year her kid was born? That would be him 16? Plausible. Does it really matter? This could be a troll, or it could be someone with a serious question.

I've never had braces, but I've know people who have gone through braces and hand difficulties - and then overcome them. We have posters in this very thread who have overcome braces and then overcome having them removed.

We continually read about braces going on and coming off, and students having trouble with them.

Trumpetmom94, playing trumpet is - hopefully - a life-long pursuit, or at least a long term thing. Without a doubt, the high school years are significant, but that are not the end - they are the beginning. Ask yourself and your son this question, "Does he REALLY want to play trumpet?" If they answer is yes, than he can overcome adversity. That's not to say that he'll have bad moments - getting braces shortly before an audition for honor band or something, but if he has the desire and the discipline to stick it out, he can shut the mouth of any naysayers - be they band directors or anyone else. But - he'll need to approach it right, and a good teacher can make all the difference.

Now, he can learn to play euphonium, but that will take some getting used to as well as braces would. That would not necessarily preclude him from playing trumpet, or anything else. Let me turn this around, because sometimes we (including our kids) hear something that is different from what is being said. Was the director offering him a position in honor band - playing euphonium - perhaps because he didn't have a slot for your son on trumpet? Or was this the hypothetical?

If it's a question of being offered a position in honor band where a trumpet slot is not available, will he really want to pass it up? Or, will he simply take that slot, and then work extra hard to gain the trumpet slot next year?

Piano User
    Wichita, KS

For what it's worth, I had braces in junior high. It definitely set me back but I was eventually able to play decently. Not as well as w/o braces, but good enough. I toughed it out and 1.5yrs later they were off. I realize that some people have a much worse time with braces than I did, so...
    Making a comeback after 9yrs, one step at a time!
    Wild Thing Bb, Benge Claude Gordon Bb, Yamaha 635ST flugel, Selmer 900 TT C trumpet (possibly for sale - PM me)

New Friend

being gullible?? was Re: band director told my child to change instruments :(

Actually, I am a trumpet mom, and yes 94 is the year of his birthday.
    I really had no clue as to how to make up a user name... so this is the only thing that came to mind...

I guess I'm just looking for any advice...
    We have a very, very competitive band and our director (whom I'm close friend of) was being nice to him. The directors could tell that he had been practicing. He totally bombed his last auditions over Region Etudes -- (high notes, constricted throat, nerves), he was trying to encourage him to switch instruments so he could achieve success. He did not want my son to be discouraged, alas the suggesion to move to EUPH.

The lesson teacher suggested I get a B.E.R.P. so I ordered one at WWBW.
    Per some of the threads I read last night, I am probably going to order a Clarks book... I'm just trying to find ways to help him -- and if I can purchase a "fix", I'm more than willing to shell out the bucks -- his ESTEEM is more important than money....

And at our next Ortho appointment, we'll see when the braces can go...
    As far as my next child (FHorn), he's going to get them in middle school!

BUt, I'm also seeing that he's NOT practicing enough. I though 30 min per day was enough...

Thanks... I just wasn't ready to GIVE UP...

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Well, I am sort of jumping in at the end of a long thread but in case you can use another viewpoint - here is one. I started playing trumpet in elementary school in the 1950's. In my junior year, the band director said he needed more low brass so he switched me to the baritone horn (I guess the same thing as a Euphonium?). He did not tell me it was because I wasn't cutting it as a trumpet player but since we had 10 trumpets, I guess I was a 'spare' or maybe it was because I was one of the few that already knew how to read bass clef. Anyway, I switched and enjoyed playing the baritone. I kept practicing the trumpet as well and continued to play it in the orchestra and jazz band (I was never a 'screamer' so we just dropped an octave for anyone that couldn't hit the high notes).

I guess my point is, if your son wants to make music and be in the band and have that experience and exposure, Euphonium is not a terrible sentence - it is a way to broaden his musical abilities. The ability to double in low brass is a skill that may be useful to him throughout his life. Perhaps this is a good time to try it.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Would you mind sharing the limits of your sons range at this point? Is it G on top of staff, high C, etc.? Getting an understanding of this would likely help those attempting to offer advice. IIn 10th grade (assuming he has had a few years of band) if your son is having trouble playing within the staff, that is one thing. If he is peeking out a little under high C, then it is something else.

Please be aware that one does not need a fantastic range to enjoy playing trumpet. The fact that your child really wants to play trumpet says a lot. Over 40 years ago I also went to a very large, very musically competitive high school. My range has never been great, though I played 1st chair, first section in concert band, pit band, brass choir and a few others -including all state. However, in jazz band, I was 5th chair because of range. My "true accuracy range" was about a D above high C, though I could occasionally (but no accuracy) hit up to Gs above high C. The others easily pulled a G above high C -and some higher. It was a true "knock the wall down" scream section.

It really bothered me that my range was so limited until Buddy Rich's (a famous jazz band) ad lib trumpet player confessed to me that his top note was an E flat above the staff. Still, he certainly had made a career out of playing with one of the top bands in the world. Guess the point of all of this is, range isn't everything. What is "acceptable" as a good student to many band directors (I was one for 3 years so I think I have some understanding of this) is someone who can handle the lead parts. As long as he is capable of covering one of the parts -whether it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd -then I don't see moving him if he doesn't want to move. It really needs to be his decision however.

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information