Trumpet Discussion Discuss Beginner buzz? in the General forums; Hey all, I just had my first trumpet lesson about 4 days ago (which means I have been playing the ...
    New Friend

Beginner buzz?

Hey all, I just had my first trumpet lesson about 4 days ago (which means I have been playing the trumpet for a whopping 5 or so days). I am not a comeback player or never even played during school, although I am a sax player.

Anyways, been having a great time and working my ass off with the trumpet, and I am very dedicated to getting to a decent/good level with it. Found a very good teacher, been working with some books, but a few problems I have had.

1. I have noticed, after doing long tones for a while, and now it is becoming more apparent that while playing I can hear my lips buzzing, it sounds an octave lower than whatever note I am playing. I have decided that this buzzing thing is bad, and have been stopping playing songs/ideas altogether to try and get rid of this. As in I have just been doing longtones of the good kind, although after a while a few of those octave-down-buzzes still slip in. What causes this, is it bad embouchure, or just my undeveloped muscles wimping out?

2. My range right, and by range I mean notes I can pick up and hit without having to work my way up or down, seems to be from low A to Bb (dead center of staff). I'm going to assume this is a normal range for a beginner? I've been able to hit the C on the staff a few times, but I have a feeling that if I am able to do that right now, I must be doing something wrong so I am trying to work my way up to it. Besides it is still very inconsistent.

3. In relation to the previous question, is that the best way to get better range? Is to work up longtones chromatically? IE practice my ass off at the high (for me) Bb until I can manage a B? Or something else?

Thanks guys.

Levittown , NY

Re: Beginner buzz?

Take it easy, your a beginner tell your teacher about the buzz, he should be able to see what is happening with a mouthpiece visualizer , it might clear up by itself, you could be practicing too much or too loud , as far as range goes , its something that comes quickly for some but slowly for others, in other words there is no normal time frame for range development. The best way to get better range , practice long tones , lip slurs, scale studies, up to your top note then play it again a 1/2 step higher.

Medina, NY

What is your mouthpiece placement? I had this buzz, and it was caused by placing the mouthpiece too low, making a lot of pressure on the top lip, and forcing the lips to vibrate at two different rates, which is what is causing that sound. If we know your placement, we'll be able to tell what is causing it.

Of course, it could be an endurance issue, caused by your lips getting tired at different rates. How long has it been since you've played the sax?

And that's a perfectly fine range for less than a week. Just try not to play too high, you'll just hurt your lips. Practice well, get good tone, and use good embouchure, and range will come as you play more.

Pianissimo User

It took me like a week to hit a C in the staff at all, if I recall correctly.

Play long tones starting on the C below the staff and working down chromatically to the bottom F#. One full breath through the horn for each note. Do this then take a 20-30 minute break and come back and do it again whenever you have time to do it. I'm not incredibly experienced, but you just need to build up the strength.

You could also slur C to G to C (with your lips, no fingers, no tonguing) over and over. I don't know if that would be too much for you, but starting on these kind of slurs would probably be helpful early on. Do the same but working down chromatically (2, 1, 12, 23, 13, 123)
    Last edited by Snorglorf; 02-01-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Since you say you have a good teacher, talk to them about your problems and work with him. While some folks here may be right as to your problem, they really are only able to give an educated guess as they are not seeing or hearing you play. Listen to your teacher and do what they say.

Thread Information