Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Beginner Issue (I don't even know what to call it) in the General forums; sometimes things get stuck in a horn. about a million years ago there was a guy who suddenly could not ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Beginner Issue (I don't even know what to call it)

sometimes things get stuck in a horn. about a million years ago there was a guy who suddenly could not get his french horn to play. (i read this in a publication called "brass world" which if you remember it, you are as old as i am). he tried cleaning it himself, having it professionally cleaned, taken apart, everything. everybody swore the horn was fine. but the thing would not play right. his day job was being an x-ray tech, so he took it to work and took a picture. he found that a pen knife had become lodged in the bell pipe. no amount of cleaning had dislodged it.

something is majorly screwing with the acoustical response of that horn. if you can play mary had a little lamb on your mouthpiece, it probably isn't you. short of getting your trumpet x-rayed, you could try another trumpet.

The Wide Brown Land

Persinji ..... two things, firstly R E L A X my friend R E L A X. It should be no harder than talking.

Yes the corners of your embouchure should be firm - but if they are TIGHT then you're going nowhere fast, that'll tighten all your lips and that creates nothing but problems. Your lips need to be able to move. Think of your mouth as if it were a drawstring purse, the drawstring represents the muscles around the mouth, the loose bit is your lips - they HAVE to be able to move easily - you should be able to talk with your corners firmed in this manner. You might look like a duck doing it but trumpeters have an ego and that shouldn't bother you.

Secondly, I have two trumpets that have two keyways for the valves and they will click down in two places, not just one, give that a check.

And the third thing say "Mom", hold the finished mouth position, quickly check your corners, not to tight now, and make a raspberry gently with your lips - here is your starting point, and

Fourthly (well I did say two things didn't I?) make sure that the mouthpiece is centered on your lips in the horizontal plane - what I would call a waterline orientation or up and down on your mouth, doesn't matter so much in the vertical orientation - what I call buttockline orientation - you want the air to blow straight down the backbore. If you blow into your mouthpiece without the trumpet, moving the MP up and down will change the airflow so that it won't come out straight, and you can feel that change with your hand as you blow - set it on your mouth so that it blows as straight as possible.

OK - that's it. (Yes I'm a professional - well not a musical professonal - but a professional nonetheless. Well they did say get professional help).

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

As I've read down this thread, it strikes me as a possibility that we're getting trolled. Duct tape? Really?

We've got a litany of stuff such as:

A new user
    Constant and consistent misspelling of the word "embouchure"
    A beginner player, yet they know and understand the concept of pedal tones (I didn't learn about those until several years in)
    The valves were in wrong
    the director played it and it's ok
    The tech said it might need chem cleaned
    There's a possible leak, covered with duct tape
    Inverted images with a phone that's acting hinky, and can't seem to get them to upload
    Spelling seems to be good overall, but to misspell Bundy with "Brundy?"

Just a thought, but it feels like we're getting trolled.
    revjames likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Edmond, OK

I don't know if we are getting trolled or not, but when I was in basically 9th grade, I had to put duct tape over my old worn out conn student horn on the third valve slide water key because it would not become unpressed and caused an air leak. Thankfully, I was able to purchase a used Getzen about 2 years later from my band director and that solved that problem. Fast forward about 8 years and I purchased my Bach Strad. Never had to worry about that again. But boy did that ever stink to have to put duct tape on the water key to fix the issue. I was too poor to even afford a trumpet, and I had to work a minimum wage job to even buy the Getzen.

Perhaps the OP is young. I don't know. This thread is just weird anyway.

Pianissimo User

i've come to realize that TM is actually the first stop for advice for some people who do not have other resources. this was an eye-opener to me, as i personally don't know, and have never known, a student who did not have a teacher available to them if they wanted one, or at least a band director. perhaps i've led a sheltered and a priviledged life. be that as it may, as i've pointed out before, we all choose to be here, for whatever reason, and we are free to participate as we choose. nobody forces anybody else to answer a question that appears here. there are posts from not only the expert among us, but from people who do not have a clue. if the worst thing that can happen is that somebody puts us on for the 10 minutes it takes to type an answer, so be it. but i think it's worth the risk. if someone really wants to go to all the trouble to pull the wool over my eyes for 10 minutes, that's their problem. but if one of us by chance happens to hit on an answer that actually helps someone, especially someone who has nowhere else to ask, i still say its a good thing.

New Friend
    Latrobe, PA

I know I'm not a good player by any means and I still consider myself a beginner. I tried to be self-taught and did progress some. But when I had the opportunity to get lessons from a friend (who is the retired band director and music teacher from high school), I learned more from him in one afternoon than anything else. You really need someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to do it the right way. Seek lessons and you will save yourself a ton of trouble.
    Latrobe, PA
    Couesnon - Paris year unknown
    Conn 20 B
    member: BAA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information