Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Beginner mouthpiece question in the General forums; Hello all, I have a quick question for community opinion. My daughter began playing trumpet since this fall. To keep ...
    New Friend

Smile Beginner mouthpiece question

Hello all,

I have a quick question for community opinion. My daughter began playing trumpet since this fall. To keep her from falling victim to a potential band director with no clue (I played a 7C until Jr High), I started her on a 3C. She is doing great (3rd chair), but don't know whether the 3C should be her mouthpiece forever, of if she should move to a larger size. I just ordered a Curry 90M for myself and let her play on my Curry 1C last night and she loved it. Is there anything wrong with a beginner playing on that size mouthpiece? Any potential problems down the road?

Thanks for your responses,

Joseph

Re: Beginner mouthpiece question

This is a highly debatable question you've asked....

I'll answer it this way... I think that personally you should use what works. In general I think that you should play on the largest mouthpiece your embouchre can handle; but that's just me.

I started on a Bach 7C and moved to a Bach 3C and now use the Monette B4S.

I guess if it's working and she likes it that's all that really matters.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Fortissimo User

And to prove that every coin has two sides, Jens Lindeman recommends that you play on the SMALLEST mouthpiece that you can get a good tone on! Nobody here can answer your question without seeing/hearing your daughter in person but generally the vast majority of folks start on the Bach 7C/3C range.

After a while her trumpet teacher (she DOES have a teacher, doesn't she?) will be better able to make specific recommendations based on progress, sound, endurance, etc.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall View Post
    And to prove that every coin has two sides, Jens Lindeman recommends that you play on the SMALLEST mouthpiece that you can get a good tone on! Nobody here can answer your question without seeing/hearing your daughter in person but generally the vast majority of folks start on the Bach 7C/3C range.

After a while her trumpet teacher (she DOES have a teacher, doesn't she?) will be better able to make specific recommendations based on progress, sound, endurance, etc.
    It's funny, but when I started, and even well into playing, I knew very few people who EVEr used a 1, 3 or 7C.

Most of the people who I knew started on the 10-1/2 C.

Maybe Detroit was different.
    -cw-
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User

Everyone I knew played a 7C, except myself (5B) and a few others who went even smaller (10 1/2C, 11...). Maybe Missouri and Detroit are different...

I think Toots is on the mark here -- her teacher will be able to discern which mouthpiece is best for her. Some people do very well on very small equipment, others do well on very large equipment. Without hearing or seeing her play, I think any advice we give relative to whether she should go larger or smaller on a mouthpiece would be quite suspect.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

I don't get why people are against 7c. It if works for you, it works for you.

I am with Lindemann and Vizzutti.
    If I were a dad with a child starting out I would buy a 7C and a 7D and hand them over to my child with the advice of, "Here, practice your long tones and flexibilities and an etude or two and we'll talk it over in six months."
    I am assuming a 4th grade child that is still growing.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mcking

Where I am everyone plays a 7C or a 5C as far as the band goes onyl me and another kid are in 3c's and I Think the one kid who moved over may have made a mistake, cause he is a small kid. I dont knwo about the older kids I Thnk some have lead mouthpieces, atleast for marching band and jazz. I have a 14a4 which I love gives me a nice tone, but I still get a bigger more fluent range on the 3c (I know where it will be).

As for your problem. I think stick with a 3c. Getting used to a mouthpiece can take months and sometimes a instant decision isn't always best. If you already own it let her use it. However, bigger mouthpieces require more power. For me this was a issue moving from a 7c to a 3c because I had my braces on only a month in. Now I like the decision I made cause I built up so much muscle during my time with the braces and working the extra mile. My endurance isnt the best (where the 14a4 (schilke) comes in).
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Trumpets:
    TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

Cornets:
    1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

That early in the game, you are doing no damage as long as she can play the parts without noticable "strain". The mouthpiece is too big if she has to squeeze the notes out.
    Whatever you do, try not to infect her with the whatmouthpieceisbest syndrome. There is no cure, it is very expensive, and has ended many a trumpet playing career.
    I do not personally subscribe to the Lindemann school of thought. Amateurs often need the advantages of a larger mouthpiece to compensate for inconsistencies in their daily playing. The larger "sweet spot" on larger mouthpieces aid just that. Professionals and advanced amateurs practice enough to make just about anything work.
    At the end of the day, her playing will determine if the bigger mouthpiece is a blessing or curse. My students usually stick with a mouthpiece for at least 2 years and I only bring up the subject if I feel that there is some benefit. Sometimes they ask what they should do and I ask in return to what degree they are willing to commit. Without commitment, any expense is wasted money.
    Last edited by rowuk; 02-14-2007 at 02:08 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Rowuk wrote :" Amateurs often need the advantages of a larger mouthpiece to compensate for inconsistencies in their daily playing. The larger "sweet spot" on larger mouthpieces aid just that."

Rowuk, could you explain a little more what kind of inconsistencies a larger mouthpiece is supposed to compensate? (I am very interested because I am an amateur an my trend was to go "bigger"!)

Regards.
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information