Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Beginners' starting range. in the General forums; Originally Posted by Phil986 Fair enough. Sorry for the reaction. I'm afraid I got too used to the confrontational tone ...
    New York State USA

Re: Beginners' starting range.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil986 View Post
    Fair enough. Sorry for the reaction. I'm afraid I got too used to the confrontational tone that is cultivated by a few on TM and affects my general perception. I think I might have provided a manner of answer, although it's not much of one: whatever you do, it seems to work well. Share more if you'd like, we might benefit from it
    wow -- and I thought it only happened to me --- thanks phil986, I feel almost NORMAL now ---- well, almost ...................
    Phil986 likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Piano User

For a beginner I would think initially you start between C below the ledger line to G in the staff and then work on getting 1 octave of C which would form the basis for the 1st scale in the key signature. After that moving up and down by a note as the student can denoted by maintaining a good tone and from there continue to expand the range from Low F# to say Double HIGH C with the caveat being that for most people there isn't a lot of music that you are going to play beyond that range and outside that range would be more for show. And actually I might be conservative and say that for most people if they could get a solid range to High C that it would be sufficient, although in my own case I continue to work on expanding my range as I'm able. I've also let the music dictate what my range should be as well.
    Bach Stradivarius 180S37
    Conn Connstellation

Claymont, DE

I don't remember what my range was when I was a beginner, or what the first note I played was--could have been a low C, could have been a second-line G or third-space C. I know my first teacher wasn't a trumpet player. She was a lady who taught at my school and played piano!! I didn't have lessons from a trumpet player till I'd been playing for a year. He got me holding the horn the right way, and doing other, more fundamentally-correct things. Can't fault my first teacher, though. She did her best.
    Instruments: 1974 Bach Strad 180S-37, standard leadpipe
    Late 1960's Bach Strad 239 CML C trumpet
    2012 Schilke B5
    ACB pocket trumpet (Thanks, Trent!!)
    1959 Holton Collegiate trumpet
    1942 Conn 80A Victor cornet
    Sonora double French horn

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

In my first incarnation as a trumpeter, I always had problems with range. I've wondered if, at least for some, starting low and working high wasn't a self-defeating process as contrasted with starting higher; that starting low set your basic embouchure for a low range, that had to be, in a sense, overcome over the years. So in my comeback era, I've basically decided not to follow this approach but to decide that the concept of playing high shouldn't be a stigma but almost something to be ignored. So I've used "The Balanced Embouchure" as a guide, since it pretty much has you playing high early on and it's been working for me.

"Truth in disclosure", my neither my tone nor power throughout my entire playing range is what I want it to be. But I'm feeling much more confident about getting the range under my belt first, and working on tone and power as it unfolds. Again, in my first playing era, I had a very nice tone and plenty of power. But range was always limiting, and I just have that gnawing feeling in the back of my mind that "starting low and working your way up" was at the root of it.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information