Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss best tips for practice bfore audition! in the General forums; ....
    Pianissimo User

Re: best tips for practice bfore audition!

Last edited by 12erlgro; 07-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    B&S Challenger II 3143/2 reversed lead-pipe
    Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP

Pianissimo User
    Camden County, GA

Quote Originally Posted by 12erlgro View Post
    Its more of a classical audition, pretty traditional, one fast piece, one slow based on good tune and one they give me there.
    I assume you mean one techincal piece, one lyrical piece, and one to sight read? Use your music terms !
    1985 Bach Stradivarius ML 37
    1974 Bach Stradivarius ML 37 w/ Sterling silver semi-round MK tuning slide
    Laskey 50C
    Bach 7C
    Bach 6BM
    Warburton P.E.T.E

Rule one is do NOT over practice the day before. Good example from last week. While only for solo and ensemble competition, my son had his partner on a duet over the day before to work on piece so I could work with them. Goodness, the girl (on second part) didn't know the piece adequately and we spent at least several hours working on it (both had also played some before getting together). We had to make a decision to either keep working until she learned it or stop so as to not overpractice and not play the piece correctly. They chose the former. As the first part was high, my son really got a workout. They both had stiff, sore chops the next day during the competition. Lucklily, though not as good as they were now capable, they managed to get a superior rating on the duet. My son also received superior on his solo. They would have been much better had they done the grueling practice 3-4 days before and only had a light to moderate practice the day before.

As far as a warmup
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Pianissimo User

Steve is right, don't over practice the day before. Do a bit maybe but, not a lot. If you know the piece well and are confident with it, you don't need too practice it. Also, if you know it that well, in the audition, just chill. the people watching you won't shout at you, bite or stab you, they were in your possition once too so they know what it is like :) (thats what im telling myself for next week anyway :S )

Hey, Garden? Lykke til..
    Jon Petter

Inderbinen Alpha and Inderbinen Studie
    Monette Prana B6 S1 82
    Monette Prana B6L S1 82

CarolBrass QT Custom (quartertone)

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

"I'm hungry and need something to e
    at!" (a hungry) -Dizzy Gillespie

Rule one: being prepared is the key to a successful audition. If you need to learn new skills to qualify, that can be a problem as 4 weeks is too little time to build reliable habits.

I try to have my students ready at least two weeks before the audition. Then we can work on other things and not try to pack everything in at the last minute.

If you have some weaknesses on the required material, trying to iron them out the week before the audition is bad. You concentrate too much on the weakness and that prevents you from showing your strengths.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    If you need to learn new skills to qualify, that can be a problem as 4 weeks is too little time to build reliable habits.
    That was really the crux of the matter for me on my failed attempt to win the slot I was going for. I had let my technique stagnate a bit too much and thought I could get it back faster than I did. Two of the tunes on the list of possible music that could be called for the audition were stretching me pretty thin technically, and I spent far too much time (in vain) trying to get my chops back to a place where I could execute material at that level. One of the tunes on the list was "The Debutante" from Clarke's Characteristic Studies. I could play it, but I never got it to where I really felt comfortable with it, simply because I wasn't able to rebuild my technique to a point where I could execute it as cleanly as I felt it needed to be played.

As it turned out, I never even got that far - neither of the tunes that I had worried over so much were even called before I got cut, but the psychological impact of knowing I wasn't as prepared as I needed to be was probably as damaging as anything else because I simply didn't have the necessary level of confidence, which no doubt contributed to the nerves that ended up really being my undoing. Everything they called for me was well under my fingers in the practice room, but the "fight for flight" instinct was going full strength when I walked into the audition area, and I couldn't get my nerves under control enough to even really begin to think about what I was trying to do in a structured way. It's got to be one of the most intense experiences of my life. I spent the rest of the day after the audition just shell-shocked, trying to figure out what had happened, because I hadn't crashed like that since I was in HS.

In retrospect, I think that there were really only two logical courses of action - the first being to have never allowed my chops and technique to degrade so far in the first place, and the other would have been to pass on taking that particular audition at that time - in the time I had available, there was just no way I could have gotten ready for it.

EDIT: I should probably say something to the effect that I know I'm not the only person to ever take an audition, and I've had other successful auditions that I took and didn't crash, and even some where I won what I was auditioning for, but that last experience I had was one of those experiences that went amazingly wrong, and I think that it would be good if I can help to prevent that from happening to someone else by re-telling my story.
    Last edited by trickg; 04-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information