Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss best warmup or exercise? in the General forums; The very best thing you could do for your young trumpet player is get a good trumpet teacher. A well ...

Re: best warmup or exercise?

The very best thing you could do for your young trumpet player is get a good trumpet teacher. A well rounded playing schedule will let him develop all aspects of their playing including range. Also if a player deveops bad habits they will always struggle with the horn. Remember there are no short cuts
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    The very best thing you could do for your young trumpet player is get a good trumpet teacher. A well rounded playing schedule will let him develop all aspects of their playing including range. Also if a player deveops bad habits they will always struggle with the horn. Remember there are no short cuts
    Hi Bob,
    I agree with everything except the last part. "There are no short cuts".
    Students usually come to me when they hit a brick wall and can only play up to a G above the staff or their endurance sucks.
    I've spent a lot of time correcting the bad habits of students who had little or (worse) incorrect instruction.
    I'm beginning to believe that a real short cut does exists.
    "Starting the beginning student with proper instructions developed by someone who knows what the heck they are doing".

RAK
    Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetnick View Post
    RAK,

Are you a qualified trumpet teacher? With all due respect it seems to me like you haven't got a clue about trumpet teaching...I may be well wrong, that's the impressions given by the above post.

My personal opinion is:

1. It is very difficult to diagnose such a problem over the internet without some additional info and without actually seeing your student.
    2. Concentrating on high range is the last thing a beginner needs unless he is developing very fast, but then you would not ask for a "fix"
    3. What you student probably needs is a good daily routine, not just warm up. I make a clear distinction between those two. The first are all those exercise that every person decided to make to maintain and develop all the aspects of instrumental command like long tones, slurs, tonguing etc. A warm up is something we do to get the blood moving in our face muscles and make the gear get an appropriate temperature to avoid intonation issues causes by the change of the instrument's temperature. My own policy about warm up says that once should not depend on it. On the contrary the daily routine is something everybody needs to maintain certain level of playing.
    I do see the student once in a while. He plays the normal scale from C to C. I'm not really a teacher. Just a trumpet player. The guy that taught me to play says its all about warming up. don't know if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    RAK,
    some players never will play high because they don't have what it takes: interest, ambition, maybe even a bit of talent. I think it is not good to let all players think that they have a chance. They need to know that they can EARN a chance.

The teacher does not need specific exercizes, they need a complete plan to keep the students interest in getting better, focussing attention on a well rounded education and developing a respect for music. If you have no idea what you are doing, just play duets. That will cause less damage and be more fun than senseless exercizes where you do not even know what to listen for.

The best thing would be for YOU to take lessons so that you too can develop an intelligent, structured approach to the instrument. Then you will also learn how to work with other people.
    If you play duets i don't think that will make anyone better. I used to have an old book full of tricky exercises and warm ups that made me a better player. I lost it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    Hi RAK
    1)Long tones in one breath-Playing a single note verrrrrry soft to loud and back down to soft without major alterations in the sound. Don't get blatty or harsh when its loud or airy and weak when its soft.

2)Scales-all 12 major scales up and down.

3)And an exercise I call "The 7"
    Do one octave lip slurs up and down using all the valve combinations:
    Open "example" C-G-C-G-C
    You should also seek a qualified instructor if possible. While what I've recommended are good warmups, if they are executed incorrectly, then mechanical bad habits can easily develop. A good foundation established by someone who is skilled can not be overstated. Good Luck
    I see. Isnt it called the cromatic scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Innella View Post
    I've found that soft long-tones, lip-slurs using the harmonics of the horn such as 2nd line G slurred up to 3rd line B and then back to the G a few times using the 1-3 fingering then Ab to C using 2-3 and so on as high as he can comfortably eventually adding the 5th then the octave, practice arpeggios one octave up and down to top of his range, this is a start, as far as spelling, at the top of the screen is something called spell check, on my screen it's ABC with a check mark under it, just click on it and it highlights you're misspelled words, click on the highlighted words and it gives you the correct spelling.
    the spelling problem is fixed Ill try that exersice with him. I think it will work. the problem is he might not be able to go that high. Ill try it.

Quote Originally Posted by trmpt_plyr View Post
    Long tones, slurs, scales, arpeggios, chromatic scales, and the like have always been the best warmup for me.
    Thanks. Ill try all of those with him.

Forte User

Hi RAK,
    No this isn't the chromatic scale. But the chromatic scale is great to practice.
    Simply play "open" and work on slurs C-G-C-G-C
    Then do the same with the other valve combinations.

RAK
    Piano User

Thanks Markie,

I'll try that exercise with my student/friend. I noticed he's getting better everyday. He is actually enjoying the trumpet.

just found a link with some good exercises . http://www.scribd.com/doc/7008861/Tr...Trumpet-Course
    Last edited by RAK; 07-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information