Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Beware of Zachary music in the General forums; I'm going to send him an email and talk a little bit to him will show you his mails if ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Beware of Zachary music

I'm going to send him an email and talk a little bit to him will show you his mails if they are any fun.

Update; I sent him a mail and he refused to let me try. So i sent him back
    I see, then i will find another company to make business, not a
    renamed Kanstul horns that are told the best horns ever. And if i'm
    not wrong you own and play a bach yourself.
    See, Alex, every player has their own style and you can't create or
    find a trumpet that is best for everyone. That's impossible. I have
    got a friend that's one of the best trumpet player i've met and he
    plays a bach and like that horn very much. I tried that horn a few
    weeks ago, it didn't suit me. He loved it not me. You can't create the
    ultimate trumpet that suites everyone, someone want a thigh slotting
    some don't and ect.
    1. Correction on your site, you need to clean your instruments once in
    a while with a brush (inside leadpipe and motuhpice). Have you looked
    in a leadpipe that haven't been cleaned for 10 years? i doubt.

Thanks for the info and help, now i know that i will spend my money
    somewhere else.

Best Wishes.

Hope it will give him some idea of how he act likes a 6 year old child.
    Last edited by Einar; 03-19-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Anchorage, Alaska USA

Quote Originally Posted by MTROSTER View Post
    I think my fellow horn players are missing the main issue here. With all the competition out there and a lot of very good horns out there for sale, the response of Zachary to a potential customer indicates a serious emotional problem with this guy's mental processes. What they are I can't surmise in toto, but an element of paranoia seems likely. So a bit of understanding is necessary, but the warning is there that one should probably not do business with him.... and then it just may be he is an unpleasant person.

Dr. Mike
    I think MTROSTER (sounds like an apt characterization of my favorite [losing] NFL team) right: emotional and mental issues that result in alienation of potential customers. On the other hand he might actually think he can win using the Sarah Palin approach: once you build a critical mass of public recognition, keep on saying whatever it takes to get you more publicity no matter how negative. But in the long run, if you can't actually deliver something or deliver something better than the competition (and customer service is certainly part of that something) you will fail.
    COBOL commando with Bach acoustic launcher energized by Bob Reeves mouthpieces, occasionally tempered using toilet-plunger adjustable choke

Medina, NY

I won't lie, I WAS a little tempted by the ZeuS horns at first, but I'm not in the market for a new horn, and if I was, I now know to stay away.

It seems like he's advertising a horn that'll make anyone play better, which is what the uneducated intermediate student's parents want.
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    His problem is that his attitude and his web page are so ridiculous that serious players (who are willing to buy custom horns) would NEVER buy anything from him. I wouldn't buy a Monette for 100 bucks from that guy.

Shoot, I wouldn't let him wash my car, much less sell me a trumpet.
    He would probably tell you that you shouldn't wash your car, lest you damage it.
    tobylou8 likes this.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by mchs3d View Post
    Custom Trumpet Mouthpieces

Apparently, his cat comes to him in the middle of the night and tells him how to make his mouthpieces, which, by the way, he will not disclose the specifications for.

Sounds clinically insane.
    for a jack*ss, he sure does have a cute cat! i guess it's true what they say; your pet doesn't care if no one else likes you!

As you can readily see, I have a few of the Zeus line of horns; and yes, I have dealt with Alex. I can recall our emails, when he found out that I had purchased two Zeus horns from the marketplace on this forum. He wasn't nice, and even refused to sell me several of his new mouthpieces until I bought a horn from him. I then, over the next few years bought a flugel and the cornet (only then, did he sell me the mouthpieces). <BR><BR>You might ask why did I put up with this guy? Simple, I liked the horns. Regardless of who designed the horns, they are made by Kanstul. They work for me, but then, I am only an intermediate player, and at my age, may never exceed that level, but I try. <BR><BR>If there is anyone interested in trying out one of his horns and mouthpieces, and lives in the New England area, then PM me for a try. Then, if you like them, then you can deal with Alex.<BR><BR>Gary<BR><BR>
    Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet
    Eastman C Trumpet
    Zeus Guarnerius Flugel Horn
    Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
    Kanstul G Bugle

Atlanta, Georgia

At least he hasn't changed over the years. When my dad bought my ZeuS G in 2002 for Christmas my freshman year of HS. On THe oTHer trumpet site there was a huge flame ware between Alex and some of the members about the Zeus line. I'm not quite sure why my dad when with ZeuS, but I like it better than any of the Bachs that I have tried, save for one a few years ago that just sang. That said, I still don't think I would ever buy from him again. There are too many other fine people out there who appreciate customers, despite what they have and/or where they got it. Personally, if I were to go with a custom/private dealer for another horn, NYTC would be one of the first on my list (again). Felix is truly a class act though I must say that I am upset by the fact their website is down.
    - Getzen 300 Series Bb
    - ZeuS Guarnarius Polished Copper Bb - Wick 3C, GP
    - 1918 Conn New Wonder Cornet Bb/A
    - NYTC Stage 1 California C Silver

Forte User
    Indiana USA

He has made a name for himself as most everyone who has read about him and/or communicated with him would attest. Some appear to like his trumpet models and overlook his weirdness, nastiness and all around charm. Others who purchase from him either like him and/or tolerate him. Some were fortunate to purchase a used zeuS trumpet from a willing to part with their trumpet and did not have to deal with Mr. Zachary. Maybe they are the fortunate ones?

Clearly, he makes sufficient income to stay in business and his strange "business model" must work for him. Maybe there are people who don't mind dealing with this "crusty" designer and seller of zeuS brass instruments as they like the way they play? I'd rather bu elsewhere where dealers and salespeople are more pleasant. That is the nice thing about free don't have to be nice to sell things and the buyer can choose to buy from those whom they want to for any number of reasons?

Does zeuS trumpets sound crusty, edgy and intimidating in the pattern of their designer? Maybe that is why people buy from him? Of course, when I'm shopping for a new musical instrument, I usually wake up in a good mood. Maybe there are people who wake up in the morning intent on trumpet shopping who say: "I feel like being browbeaten today, so I'll call Mr. Zachary and start my day off right!"

Best wishes,

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

I remember when he came up a few years ago on a sax forum. Holy smoke! This guy quickly became a pariah for the same reasons already mentioned here. No reason to repeat them.

I certainly don't need the aggravation and I wonder, (thinking out loud, now) if they're made by Kanstul, certainly they're not that different that you can't come up with a Kanstul model that satisfies your same needs. It seems to me that the prices are close enough that it would be worth it to pay the extra money to deal with someone with integrity and real knowledge of trumpet design.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Rochester, MN

Quote Originally Posted by nplotts1 View Post
    .. I'm not quite sure why my dad when with ZeuS, but I like it better than any of the Bachs ...
    Probably for the same reason I did - they were a great deal back then. In late 2002 a silver Zeus G sold for around $875 or so.
    That's a very well made (Kanstul) knockoff of a modern Strad for about 60% of the cost of a new Strad in 2002 dollars.

Over the years a (new) Zeus has lost is price advantage so there's really no reason to tolerate the seller's rudeness.

The used ones are a great value since they don't have the respect of the market yet are built very well - I sold my Zeus G a few years ago
    and bought a Zeus picc a couple years ago for 1/4 the cost of a new Schilke or Kanstul.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information