Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A big decision..... in the General forums; OKAY.... Got to weigh in on this one. I had a Schilke M-II. The horn played great for me... responsive ...
    Woodlawn, VA

Re: A big decision.....

OKAY.... Got to weigh in on this one. I had a Schilke M-II. The horn played great for me... responsive and a great sound. However I couldn't depend on it. Sooner or later the valves would hang just a bit. The Yamalloy valves reacted with my body chemistry and I would get frustrated. It doesn't happen to everybody. Can you try the horn out for a few days first? Perhaps your body chemistry would be more compatible. The horn itself played very well if I had felt like having the pistons replated. I just went a different direction. I liked the Severinsen Eterna Getzen that I had, but the Schilke sounded better. Think things through. It depends on how well the two horns you have play, and how well you and the Schilke get along. Your call
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Toronto, ON Canada

Hey, stop stomping on the MII! I've had one since 1982 and it has been excellent. Yes, it is not a complete Schilke since it has Yamaha parts but a Schilke leadpipe and bell. And yes, it was assembled in less time than a B/X series Schilke but they were still assembled by the team on Wabash in Chicago.

My horn has the fit and finish you expect with a B series of the time, great valves and a fantastic sound.

Now, for the orginal poster, play it and your Getzen and that should help you make up your mind. Not really sure if a trade for 2 horns is appropriate tho.

And MIIs sell on eBay for $600-800, certainly not the $1200 some have asked for.

Olds Ambassador, Special, Super, Recording, Mendez, Custom Bb & C trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
    Olds Opera & Ambassador A6 Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
    Olds L-12 Flugelhorn, GR/Melk Leadpipe, GR Butcher 65.6FL

Pianissimo User
    Northern Kentucky

To clear things up really quick, I'm not sure if he wants BOTH of the horns in the deal yet. My Getzen 700 is a 700 special not a eterna. And I know the M1 and the M2 were intermediate horns, but its unique. And i will have a chance to try it. So, We'll see how it goes. You never know....

And just because it was built with Yamaha valves doesnt "send it to hell" you know? I can get past it. (My Yamaha Q's valves worked well after a few dashes on Al Cass).
    ________________MY COLLECTION________________

1. Olds 10MUMU - piece of CRAP
    2. Strad 37 - second best
    3. Unnamed ancient horn -just for show
    4. Yamaha YTR-01- tied for second best
    5. Getzen 700 Special -My best
    6. King "superior"
    7. Blessing flugel
    8. King mellophone

Norfolk, VA

I used to play a Schilke B6, and had an MII as a backup. My body chemistry didn't react with the valves, so the MII played well for me. It didn't, however, play as well as the B6, and it wasn't as well-made. MII's are worth about $500 in good condition, so keep that in mind if you're considering a trade. Play it for a couple of days, and read up here - it's worth it to be well informed. Miscellaneous
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureBC View Post
    And just because it was built with Yamaha valves doesnt "send it to hell" you know? I can get past it. (My Yamaha Q's valves worked well after a few dashes on Al Cass).
    Yamaha makes great valves now, but back when the MII was around, they were known for valve issues. Look up "Yamalloy Valves" and you can read about those issues.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Los Gatos, CA

This is probably not the advise you're hoping for, but if it were me, unless neither of the horns I already own work for me, I'd hang on to them and save my money and buy a >>real<< Schilke, or Bach, or Kanstul, or whatever: a >>real<< "pro" horn.

I'd probably want to buy a used one, preferably one which I can take to a rehearsal or two and try out (before buying it) in the section to make sure it works well there. I'm also a cheapskate, and hate to buy new expensive things that depreciate immediately upon taking posession of them. .

A "real" pro horn is also less likely to depreciate as much as a semi-pro or student model, and as in the case of my good ol' Schilke P5-4, has actually >>appreciated<< over time from when I bought it.

Hope that helps anyway!

Guy Clark

dubuque iowa

the question is..have you played the schilke? does it do for you what the other two do for you combined? are you getting it for the name only for your collection or are you planning to enjoy playing it? sleep on it as long as your buddy is in no hurry and consider the pros and cons. i agree with bobby, i love my getzen 900 eterna classic.

You say the Getzen is your best. That kind of takes it out of the pool of horns to trade. Trading "intermediate" horns for the same does not make much sense to me unless it REALLY plays that much better. This dude wouldn't trade it for your horns unless he thought he was unloading something that didn't work for him, or was getting a better deal.

Just say no.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information