Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Blistex Vs. Non medicated in the General forums; I was hoping someone could settle an argument I'm having with a friend. I'm in marching band and thus after ...
    Pianissimo User

Question Blistex Vs. Non medicated

I was hoping someone could settle an argument I'm having with a friend.

I'm in marching band and thus after spending gameday on friday and competition day on saturday playing outside, my lips are thoroughly chapped. I use medicated Blistex. This has always been the best for me and I have never suffored any kind of reprecution. My friend tells me that the medicated lip ointment breaks down muscles in your lips and will actually be detrimental to playing.

Can anyone settle this argument for us.

Forte User
    Well, I'm no doctor but I don't think there are muscles in the lips, and as long as the stuff works for you keep using it.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day so that my child may have peace.”

Thomas Paine 1737-1809

“That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

Of course there are muscles in the lips. How else do we move them

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanShaw View Post
    I was hoping someone could settle an argument I'm having with a friend. ... I use medicated Blistex. This has always been the best for me and I have never suffored any kind of reprecution.
    Can anyone settle this argument for us.
    You just did. It works FOR YOU. Maybe not for him. Everyone is different in how they react to stuff. There are muscles around the lips, but as far as IN the lips, I cannot say. So, weather or not medicated Blistex has any ill-effects, I can't answer that, either. (I'm not a doctor...but I saw one on TV). If you've been doing this for a few years with no ill effects, then it's probably safe to continue. Next time you have a Dr. appointment, ask. Then, go talk with your HS biology teacher about muscle structure in the face and get back to us on wheather the muscles are around or in the lips!
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Hong Kong
    The best I have used is from a cosmetics company called "Paula's Choice" - it doesnt have anything in it that will dry, or react with your lips. One application is usually enough, unlike creams like Blistex, where i find repeated applications are neccesary. Worth a try, if anyone is looking for a good lip balm.
    Adrian Kelly
    t/wb: @AdrianTpt
    fb: Adrian Kelly

Adrian is an endorsing artist for the Conn-Selmer company, and performs on Vincent Bach instruments. Adrian performs on mouthpieces by Stork Custom.

Adrian's latest CD "Chinese Whispers 細語" is available now from

I don't know that muscular damage is really the issue. If you're using some medications on your lip- certain kinds of chap stick or Vaseline for example, then I've heard there can be problems. I don't know where blistex fits in, but if you havent had problems in the past, I don't see a reason not to use it.

Shameless plug: Chopsaver works very well for this kind of thing for me and most trumpet playing friends i have ;)

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar
    The only stuff I use these days is ChopSaver.

san diego

Just take your vitamin E every day!
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

I am not sure how much of the blistex actually soaks through the lips to get to the muscle, and then in sufficient concentration to "break your muscles down".
    I say: no chance.
    I was in the Army Band 30 years ago and used blistex every winter when my lips were chapped. The formula may have been different(probably 100 x more dangerous!), but my lips still work as advertised today.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Metro Detroit
    I echo some of the comments above..

I'm no Doctor but if it works for you who cares what it does or does not do?

I'm not certain that it would break down the muscles in your lips; I don't buy that but who knows. If you can still play then so be it.

I use Burt's Beeswax works fine for me.

I wonder if your friend got Blistex and Botox confused? Botox would paralize your lips; NOT GOOD FOR TRUMPET PLAYERS!
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information