Trumpet Discussion Discuss Bluffing it! in the General forums; How important is being able to bluff within the professional world? Quite often when i am playing fast runs, i ...
    Piano User Bloomin Untidy Musician's Avatar

Bluffing it!

How important is being able to bluff within the professional world?

Quite often when i am playing fast runs, i will sensitively change the odd accidental to make it easier, but still keeping the effect. Are you a bluffer like me ? What types of bluffing tricks do you employ? Have you ever been caught out by conductor? Is bluffing ethical? Do bluffers "make it"?

Enjoy

B.U.M.

Re: Bluffing it!

You can't bluff in the pro world. You won't be hired back. You will be caught at it.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomin Untidy Musician View Post
    How important is being able to bluff within the professional world?

Quite often when i am playing fast runs, i will sensitively change the odd accidental to make it easier, but still keeping the effect. Are you a bluffer like me ? What types of bluffing tricks do you employ? Have you ever been caught out by conductor? Is bluffing ethical? Do bluffers "make it"?

Enjoy

B.U.M.
    The olny time I've ever bluffed would be during a rehearsal where I'm sight-reading something difficult. I think there's an expectation that the next time we play the same difficult passage/piece I will have it down and won't have to bluff through it anymore. I think there's definitely an expectation that there's no bluffing during a performance.

I know my own limitations so for example I won't sub a musical like West Side Story (for a high school or college show) without seeing the book at least a day or so in advance and either hearing or sitting in a rehearsal so I'm aware of the cuts. There are TONS of guys who could just plop in on the day of the show and do it, but I'm not one of them.

As Bob said I don't think "bluffers" make it very far. I think they would eventually bite off more than they can chew and end up really sucking on a job, thus ruining (or earning) a reputation as unpredictable.

But I'm just a hack, so I could be wrong...

Bluffing is ok only on the first read through. After that, you should able to play as written. Practice, sightreading... close to being things of the past! HA. If you are thrust in a spot where you can't play something, leave it out and hope to the Lord that someone doubles/covers it. Your rep will be on the line.
    Last edited by Bear; 07-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    You can't bluff in the pro world. You won't be hired back. You will be caught at it.
    +1 to that!
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

I am uncomfortable faking the part too.

If I can't play it "right" the first time I make sure I practice the heck out of it at home
    to get it down before the next practice or performance.

Now, there are times when "wood shedding" is just not possible.
    In those cases I'd rather skip the difficult passage than fumble my way through it and
    sound horrible.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

There's just that expectation that if you're there to play, you're there to do it right. Sight reading is a practiced skill that I fear many non-full time musicians get away from. However, sitting down and working out the kinks and runs is a necessary part of playing-especially if you want to keep your good reputation.
    Mt. Vernon Bb - Monette B1/2
    Monette C937
    Bach 229H C with Malone MC2 - Monette C1/2
    Schilke P5/4
    Yamaha YTR-9610 Eb/D
    Bach 184 Bb Cornet

Thread Information